Sweet, creamy and a bit tangy….the BEST Strawberry Ice Cream made with ingredients you can pronounce. Simple to make and the perfect treat for a hot summer day.
Note: Photos updated 6/8/2016
Well, I guess bathing suit shopping is out of the question for a while. At least until I stop making ice cream, it’s not helping the cause. Of course, I could always blame the image in the mirror on the horrendous lighting that all dressing rooms have or the terrible mirrors….it’s like entering a fun house! But it’s soooo not fun at all!
Anyway, I decided the BEST Strawberry Ice Cream was my next flavor to conquer and since strawberries are starting to be at their peak (and we had a boatload of them in the refrigerator) it was definitely the right thing to do. I love walking into the grocery store or farmer’s market and, as soon as you enter the building, you can smell the berries. That’s when you know summer is imminent! (and the cold sweat of panic comes over you because you haven’t been to the gym in months!)
This is refreshing and creamy, not as custardy as the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream I made the other week. It’s perfect in this easy ice cream cake or just in a bowl all on it’s own. I can see myself sitting on a porch in the south enjoying a bowl of the Best Strawberry Ice Cream while listening to the crickets….does anyone have a porch in the south I could visit? I’ll bring the ice cream. I’ll even do the dishes. 🙂
The Very BEST Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- Juice and Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice, zest and 1/4 cup of sugar in a bowl and chill for 45 minutes. Remove and mash half the berries with a fork or potato masher.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar mixing well. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Cook over medium low heat for approximately 20 minutes stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Add the strawberries and juice to the milk mixing to combine. Slowly add the whipping cream and stir gently.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Store in an airtight container in your freezer.
|Serving Size||1/4 cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2872kcal Calories from fat 1789|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 199g||306%|
|Saturated Fat 119g||595%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|