Take your steak up a notch by tossing it with a creamy, cheesy béarnaise sauce. This Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwich with Cheesy Bearnaise Sauce is loaded with sautéed mushrooms and fried onion then piled high on a hollowed out ciabatta bread. A sandwich worthy of a celebration all it’s own.
I was going to write how this is a manly sandwich…that was my plan. THEN the cover of Vanity Fair was revealed and Caitlyn Jenner was introduced to the world. It kind of turned the media on it’s a ear a bit. Don’t you agree? Opinions flying around like it’s everyone’s business to weigh in on whether she has the right to call herself a woman. And whether she is beautiful and her previous relationships, her family, etc. But really…she’s a trailblazer and I think she’s opening a lot of doors for many people who have lived their life not quite the way they want to. But rather, the way they’re supposed to based on the opinions of others. Frankly, I think that people should do what makes them happiest…as long as they’re not hurting anyone. Physically. There are the people that say she’s hurting her family and friends and whatever….what about the hurt that she lived with all those years prior? So…we’re getting really deep here and I try to keep this a politically free arena so we don’t all get indigestion but I had to say that I fully support Caitlyn Jenner’s debut (because my opinion matters to the world, ha ha!) and I hope this changes the face of how many feel about the transgender topic forever. Let’s remember, she’s a person and deserves to live a happy life no matter how her lifestyle looks to the rest of the world. I’ve always been a fan and looking at her as a new person is a little jarring, I admit, but I would still love to sit down, serve her this sandwich and talk fashion for a bit. Preferably at her house because she has a much better view than I do. I can’t see whales from my terrace.
My husband described this sandwich as “a sandwich for a man’s man.” I don’t even know what that means. But I’m not a man and I love this Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwich with Cheesy Bearnaise Sauce. So…I think it’s just a gut-buster, which is typically what people think men eat all the time. You can make the sandwich as big or as small as you want depending on how hungry you are. AND the sauce is amazing….it’s ooey and gooey and buttery and just melts around every single morsel clinging onto it like a savory blanket of ridiculousness. The mushrooms and onions are pan sautéed until golden brown creating a great base for the buttery sauce.
We’ve been making this sandwich for years and it would be wrong if I didn’t give my husband full credit for the recipe. He used to cook dinner for me on occasion….in fact, I forgot that he knew how to cook until I decided to write about this sandwich. Now that I think of it….hmmm, I think he has some explaining to do. I can’t remember the last time he made dinner. Whatever…this sandwich was part of his dating scheme, I think. I’m sure this is what he made for all his ladies back in the day. And of course, I made some modifications over the years so I am now taking back credit for the sandwich. It’s mine, see that trademark at the bottom of the page? 🙂
The Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwich with Cheesy Bearnaise Sauce is super easy to make and can be ready in about 25-30 minutes (depending on how rare you like your steak.) It’s excellent served with Smashed Potato Salad or a scoop of Macaroni Salad. I like to cook mine to medium rare on the grill and then allow it to rest while I cook the onions and mushrooms. Once they’re golden brown, I deglaze the pan with a tiny bit of beef stock. Cut the tenderloin into bite sized pieces and toss in the pan. Cover with cheese and béarnaise…toss to melt the cheese…you will be drooling at this point and probably start picking pieces out of the pan. Be careful, that sauce is like molten lava. Pour the whole vat onto a long, large ciabata loaf and cut into four pieces. Share…don’t share. That’s entirely up to you.
- 10 ounces beef tenderloin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 4 slices american cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared béarnaise sauce (I use Knorr and prepare according to package directions)
- 1 large ciabatta loaf, sliced in half horizontally and the top hollowed out.
- Preheat your grill.
- Season the tenderloin liberally with salt and pepper. Place the tenderloin on the grill and cook until desired degree of doneness. ( I like medium rare which takes about 3-4 minutes per side depending on how thick the steak is.) Transfer the steak to a plate and cover with foil. Allow to rest approximately 10 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms to the onions and cook until both are golden brown. Stir in the beef stock and deglaze scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits. Cut the beef into bite sized pieces and add to the onion mixture. Stir to combine. Cover the beef mixture with the cheese making a cheese blanket of sorts and allow to melt. Stir in the béarnaise to coat the ingredients completely.
- Transfer the mixture to the bottom slice of bread. Place the top of the bread on the sandwich and cut into 4 equal pieces. Serve immediately.