A one pot dinner sure to impress the entire family. Greek Style Stuffed Peppers are packed with chicken, feta cheese, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes and brown rice for a heart healthy dinner loaded with flavor. Make it in advance for a quick weeknight dinner.
I saw on Facebook yesterday a post that said “January is the Monday of the entire year.” No explanation needed really…it’s that dreaded month that’s cold, blustery, gray and seems to go on endlessly. I always loved January when I was a kid because it’s my birthday month. Smack in the middle of January we would always “plan” a big celebration…so, of course I would LOVE the month because it was always full of anticipation. And snow….which always seemed to plan IT’S arrival on the same day as my party. Luckily, I only remember one snowed out party and, if I remember correctly….it was really a huge ice storm so that just made it an even bigger buzzkill.
Well, these days….I don’t really do much on my birthday except celebrate the fact that I made it to see another one….happy, healthy and alive. And I do as much as I can to brighten up the gray days ahead with lots of colorful food and shopping. Lots of shopping…not really to buy much but to see everything that’s already in stores for spring. It puts a little pep in my step and reminds me that spring in on it’s way…it’s coming and I must get to the gym. Now. And stop stuffing my face with things like these sliders and eat more things like these stuffed poblanos or a big pile of paella or these Greek Style Stuffed Peppers.
I will admit…I’m not a HUGE fan of stuffed peppers because they’re usually loaded with tomato sauce and I don’t love things swimming in a pool of red sauce. So, I came up with my own version of stuffed peppers loaded with Greek flavors like kalamata olives, chicken, sun dried tomatoes and feta. These Greek Style Stuffed Peppers are just what healthy dreams are made of. Or not healthy dreams…if you don’t really care if your food is healthy or not, you’re still going to flip out over these flavor bombs. My husband, who is my biggest and most vocal critic yet, absolutely LOVED these stuffed peppers and we didn’t even have leftovers for lunch the next day. They were devoured in minutes. And they’re super easy to make in advance to have on hand for those busy weeknights when you’re running around like a mad person. I even used leftover chicken from my Simple Roasted Chicken Breasts that I whipped up on Sunday night.
Greek Style Stuffed Peppers with Chicken, Feta and Kalamata Olives belong in your weekly meal plan….if you have one. If you don’t, I have great news for you! Starting this Sunday…I’ll be creating a weekly meal plan and will include it in my weekly news letter. All you have to do is sign up to receive the news letter at the top this page and your custom meal plan will be delivered to your inbox! How easy is that? I like to think of myself as a problem solver….Meal Plan Problem Solved!
Greek Style Stuffed Peppers with Chicken Feta and Kalamata Olives
- 4 large bell peppers, tops sliced off and seeds removed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the peppers, cut side up, in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, spinach, cheese, olives tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture until well blended and spoon the mixture into the peppers. Place the tops of the peppers on the filling and transfer to the oven. Bake the peppers for 40-45 minutes or until the peppers have softened. Sprinkle the peppers with the remaining feta cheese and serve immediately.