A dinnertime favorite, cheesy enchiladas turned into a casserole. Loaded with chicken, green chiles and creamy, cheesy sauce, this Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Casserole is simple to make and a great weeknight dinner.
Who was hit by the blizzard this weekend? I’m just outside Philadelphia where we measured just around 30 inches of snow. Just a little dusting. 🙂 It’s a lot of snow but I’m not going to complain, it’s not often we get a forced day of relaxation without ever thinking about leaving the house. But I do become bored….fast. And lucky for me, I work from home so it made for the perfect recipe testing weekend. I made quite a few things that I’ll be sharing this week….and perfected a few other recipes that are perfect for snowy days like these Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs. I mentioned that I was making them on Facebook and, yeah, I really meant it. 🙂 Instead of the spaetzle, I topped a heaping pile of mashed potatoes with my short ribs while watching The Intern. It’s so good….like one of the best “feel good” movies I’ve seen in a long time.
I also made a Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Casserole…..yeah, a SLOW COOKER casserole. I have an enchilada casserole that I make all the time but since we would be outside most of the day digging out I wanted something I didn’t have to check on multiple times. PLUS, the Today show sent me a brand new All-Clad Slow Cooker that I was just dying to test out. It was a thank you gift for being a contributor to their new Today Food Club! If you haven’t checked it out already, be sure to go visit later to search recipes, ask questions and sign up for some exclusive perks! I’m very excited about this new opportunity and hope you’ll take some time to go see all that they have to offer. Each week, they offer up a new challenge where you can submit your own recipe….this week is the “Slow Cooker” challenge.
Sticking with the theme of the week, this Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Casserole is definitely a home run with my family. And me…because it’s so easy to make. The most time consuming part is making the sauce which takes a whopping 10 minute to whip up. I like to use leftover roast chicken but a rotisserie would be really handy too. All the ingredients are layered in the slow cooker just like a lasagna and then cooked for a few hours. The results are silly amazing….melty cheese, tender chicken, soft tortillas with just a bit of spicy heat. Serve with chopped jalapeños if you like things really spicy….chopped avocado to cool off that heat, sour cream…because sour cream is awesome and chopped cilantro for a fresh, bright flavor. You are gonna love it.
This recipe serves about 8-10 people depending on how hungry they are and would be great for game day. Not feeling like Mexican? Then try my one pot Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers or this Slow Cooker Kalua Pork. Or try all of them because slow cooker meals are just the best thing on the planet…especially during a blizzard.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons corn starch or flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 20 soft flour tortillas (or corn tortillas for a gluten free option)
- 2 cups shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the cornstarch (or flour) and cook until golden brown. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and cook until it begins to thicken. Stir in the milk, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion powder, chopped chiles and salt. Continue cooking until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- In a 7-qt slow cooker, line the bottom of the slow cooker insert with a layer of tortillas so that it is completely covered. Spoon 1/4 of the sauce over the tortillas. Layer 1/3 of the chicken on the sauce and sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese over the chicken. Repeat with remaining ingredients with the final layer being tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and turn on high. Cook for 3-4 hours. (Alternatively, you can cook the casserole on low for 6 hours). Serve with chopped avocado, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 891kcal Calories from fat 460|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 51g||78%|
|Saturated Fat 24g||120%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|