An easy weeknight dinner that’s impressive enough for entertaining, Oven Roasted Salmon with Orange Spinach Salad is ready in under 30 minutes. Healthy and light, it’s the perfect transition meal into spring.
Happy Friday, friends! Who’s ready for the weekend? And Spring!!! It arrives in just a few short days and to celebrate, mother nature is throwing us a huge party with one final snow storm. I don’t know how much snow we will actually get but however much it is….the daffodils will NOT like it. Not one bit. Nor will my herbs which are already nicely sprouted or the robins that have been finishing off the food in the bird feeder. Or me. I don’t want to see one more snowflake. I thought we had gotten off easy this year with the blizzard that gave us the entire seasons snow in one fell swoop. But here I am, listening to Al Roker talk about European models and American models and snow totals anywhere from 2-10 inches…..depending on the path of the track. Isn’t that just the limit?
So, I’m going to pretend that the snow is not coming…which is just as likely as it actually happening…and make lots of summery salads and some fish. I don’t post a lot of fish on my site and I really have no idea why. I love it, it’s flavorful, healthy and so incredibly easy! A favorite, salmon. The price point is usually pretty fair making it pretty affordable to eat regularly and it’s always a snap to make. Pan searing, oven roasting, grilling…the flesh holds up to many pretty rigorous cooking methods. This Oven Roasted Salmon with Orange Spinach Salad recipe is, obviously, oven roasted….it’s one of the easiest ways to make fish. And besides the pan you roasted the salmon in…and the bowl you toss the salad in…clean up is pretty quick.
Oven Roasted Salmon is just that…..oven roasted salmon. Simply seasoned with salt and pepper…nothing more…nothing less. You place the fillets in a pan and sear in a screaming hot pan until crisp then transfer the whole thing to the oven for a few minutes. You don’t even need to flip it over. How easy is that? While your salmon is roasting, toss the salad ingredients together. And done. Dinner is ready. If you want to bulk up your meal a bit more you could add a side of green beans but I like to save room for dessert.
Oven Roasted Salmon with Orange Spinach Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 4-oz Salmon fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the salad
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 navel oranges, segmented and juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil over med/high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Place the salmon in the skillet, skin side down (if your salmon doesn't have skin, just place in the pan). Sear the salmon for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom loosens from the pan easily and is golden brown. Transfer the skillet to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- While the salmon is roasting, toss the spinach, onion, oranges, orange juice and olive oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salmon with the salad.