Silky smooth, cool and creamy Chilled Avocado Soup topped with a mango relish and grilled chili spiced shrimp is a summertime masterpiece. A great way to beat the heat on a hot summer day!
You know what I love? Summer. I love that I don’t have to dress in fifty million layers to run out to the store and you can actually sit outside to enjoy a meal without it turning into a popsicle. The sounds of the leaves blowing in the wind…the birds chirping at 3 am. It’s all cool with me. Even the 90 degree (or higher) temps that make you sweat buckets when you get into your car that’s been sitting in the sun for 5 hours….it’s all way better than winter, in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I love the occasional snow storm but snow is overrated. It’s great for the first few hours and then it just starts to get old….real fast. Even the food is better in the summer…..WAAAAY better. And it’s a bit easier to eat healthily because there’s perfect produce around every single corner, I’m not even kidding. In my neck of the woods…there’s a produce stand around every single corner.
Chilled soups are a dream come true when the temperature hits the 90’s, especially when you’re able to get your hands on some perfectly ripe avocados. This Chilled Avocado Soup with Grilled Chili Spiced Shrimp is ready in about 10 minutes and is a great way to use up those avocados that maybe are not Pinterest picture perfect. You know the ones I’m talking about, sometimes that have a little bit of black running through and edge. Just toss those babies right into the blender with a few other ingredients and you have a summer heat squelching soup that’s incredibly healthy and would make your momma proud at your culinary talents.
Chilled Avocado Soup with Grilled Chili Spiced Shrimp is as simple as my Strawberry Soup and equally refreshing. I threw all the “soup” ingredients into the blender and pureed until smooth. I stuck the blender pitcher right into the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld together….and chill, of course. It is a chilled soup after all. While your Avocado Soup is chilling….toss the shrimp with some spices and grill…..3-4 minutes on each side. Chop up some mango and red bell pepper. Or use a little leftover pineapple salsa! You’re ready to eat. The perfect light lunch or serve with a main course salad like this one busting at the seams with Caribbean flavor. Super easy, super tasty. Did you expect anything less of me?
Chilled Avocado Soup with Grilled Chili Spiced Shrimp
- 1 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 ripe, peeled avocados, pitted
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- juice and zest of 1 lime
For the relish
- 1/4 cup diced mango
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
For the shrimp
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of kosher salt
- Place the buttermilk, avocado, stock, yogurt, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, salt, lime juice and zest in a blender.
- Puree the ingredients until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add more buttermilk one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency.
- Transfer the pitcher to the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl. toss the mango, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, onion and cilantro together to combine. Chill until ready to serve
- Toss the shrimp with the chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Grill over high heat for 3 minutes on each side or until no longer translucent.
- Divide the soup mixture among 4 bowls.
- Top each with 1/4 of the relish and then place 2 shrimp on each serving.
- Serve immediately