Sweet, spicy, creamy, crunchy….there’s a little bit of everything in these easy to make Loaded Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. A simple dinner that tastes anything but….this recipe is a great way to use up any leftovers you may have hiding in the fridge.
Happy Friday!!!! The week is finally over and I’m ready for the weekend. It’s the first time in a long time I can just hang around and actually enjoy myself. I have BIG plans, too! Things like…cleaning out my prop closet, purging the pantry and going through the clothes my little guy has outgrown. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? And of course….the big game. I’m all about the food and commercials so the game is not even secondary to me. I will peruse the buffet while they plan and head back to the couch to catch all the fun marketing gems.
And then…you know, the inevitable happens…the weekend comes to an end (that’s why it’s called the week”end”.) and Monday. Monday is back. Like a bad rash. I’m not a fan of Monday. But if I have a plan for the week ahead then, at the very least, dinner is a snap. AND with all the leftovers from your tailgate (sofa-gate?) party…..these Loaded Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes will be a big hit come dinner.
These easy to make Loaded Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes were inspired by a barbecue joint in Dallas that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. They stuff a ginormous sweet potato (aka…yam) with all kinds of ridiculousness…like tons of butter, tender pulled pork, some kind of creamy sauce, cheese, sugar, butter, sugar, butter, sugar….you get it. It’s aptly named ‘The Hot Mess.’ And I believe I would feel like a hot mess after eating their version. But that didn’t stop me from thinking about it for days….weeks…months on end.
So, I came up with my own version of The Hot Mess that’s hot and messy but not going to mess with the diet TOO much. I mean, I’m all about the gluttony but after a day of wing eating and nacho noshing….we need to pull it back a bit, don’t you think.
I topped my baked sweet potatoes with a healthy heaping pile of my leftover slow cooker pulled pork, sprinkled that with a bit of cheese, then drizzled a bit of my favorite spicy barbecue sauce over that. (It’s so easy to make!) Then I topped the sauce with bacon, candied pecans, a honey/chipotle cream sauce and chopped scallions. It was absolutely splendid…if I do say so myself. The perfect way to use up your leftovers from the food orgy….and an easy weeknight dinner. And if you’re into stuffing things into potatoes…I also LOVE these cheesy broccoli stuffed potatoes from way back when. You’ll love them too….I promise!
Loaded Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked pulled pork
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup candied pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh scallions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub each potato with olive oil and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Sprinkle with salt and prick the skin a few times with a fork to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake the potatoes for 40-50 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the potatoes bake, whisk together the sour cream, honey and chipotle chili powder. Set aside.
- Cut a slit lengthwise in the potato and gently squeeze the two ends together to open up the potato.
- Fluff the inside of the potato lightly with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Fill with 1/2 cup pulled pork.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over the pork and drizzle with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce.
- Top with 1/4 cup of the sour cream mixture, 1/4th of the bacon, pecans and scallions. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Serve immediately.