One of the only acceptable times to eat a sandwich for dinner, the very BEST Patty Melt recipe ever will impress even the pickiest family members. Rich, juicy burger patties are layered with melty Swiss cheese, caramelized onions and slathered with Thousand Island dressing. Sandwiched between buttery, toasted rye bread, this is far more than your basic burger.
Happy Spring! Yay! We made it….winter is a distant memory in my book and I’m looking forward to spring temps making their return. Once that snow melts. Right now, it’s still a soggy, sloppy mess outside so I took the opportunity to feed myself a little more comfort food since I still have a few weeks before I’ll have to start thinking about shorts. Right? I’ll deal with it then. 🙂 In the meantime, let’s talk about the very BEST Patty Melt recipe on the planet. I’m not even exaggerating just a little bit.
I’m a big time burger fan….but I’m also a picky burger fan. I like my burgers to be thick….unless I’m at Five Guys or SmashBurger. My thick burgers must be cooked medium rare to medium MAX….anything more and you risk drying out the beef, not good eats. Generally, I like my burger to be pretty basic UNLESS it’s loaded with something yummy like these French Dip Burgers or my fave Beef Bourguignon Burgers. And if you’re going to load up the burger with more than just American cheese and ketchup (ok, and maybe a little mayo…) then the toppings MUST be top notch. Like put a little effort into them….show them some love.
So, that’s how the Very Best Patty Melt Recipe came to be. If you were around last week, you may have seen the recipe for Caramelized Onions.…and then this Thousand Island Dressing. They’re both simply fabulous all on their own but pile them high on a Patty Melt and OMG…..just O.M.G. You’ll see….you’ll just see how fabulous they really are.
And if you plan ahead, your Patty Melts will be a great way to end a busy weekday. Everything cooks in one pan for easy clean up so you won’t spend time hanging out over a sink when everyone else runs off to watch television for the night. (I mean, really…doesn’t that blow when they abandon you in the kitchen?!?!?) I like to serve the Very Best Patty Melt with a heaping pile of Salt and Vinegar Chips….because not every meal needs a pile of steamed veggies. Right?
The Very Best Patty Melt Recipe
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions and shape into patties approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Season both sides of the patties liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the desired degree of doneness.
- Transfer the burgers to a platter and keep warm. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and return to the heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add four slices of bread. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cheese, then top with the burger patties. Layer a slice of cheese over the burger and spread 2 tablespoons dressing on each. Top with 1/4 cup caramelized onions and the remaining slices of bread on each.
- Press down on each sandwich gently with a spatula and cook for 1-2 minutes. Carefully flip each sandwich over and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes (adding more butter, if necessary).
- Slice in half and serve immediately with extra dressing on the side, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 785kcal Calories from fat 391|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 43g||66%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||90%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|