You don’t have to wait for a special occasion to make these incredibly tasty Champagne and Strawberry Cupcakes with Champagne Buttercream. But they definitely are worthy of toasting the joyous night of the year. So simple to make and easily will become your guest favorite dessert ever.
I hope everyone had a great holiday and you are finally able to start to rest a bit before celebrating the new year. It’s been pretty busy here since The Twelfth Day of Cookies as you may have noticed….no new posts since December 12. The cookie extravaganza did get in the way of some much-needed shopping…..and wrapping….and holiday planning in general. My cards went out late (as usual) without an excuse this year. And I whipped up a rather fabulous appetizer, off the cuff, for Christmas Eve. (I’ll share that recipe tomorrow because it’s a great one for New Year festivities!)
Landon turned 2 a couple of days before Christmas so I had to throw in a tiny birthday bash for 4 people and that’s when I remembered I had “scheduled” his real party for the 2nd week in January. No planning had been done at that point. I think I may over schedule myself…maybe?
I was taking inventory of what leftovers I had from the holiday and SHOCKINGLY I found a half bottle of champagne in the refrigerator. I couldn’t let it go to waste….that’s just a crime….but I didn’t want to start chugging it out of the bottle either. That’s when I decided to use it in something sweet….a cupcake. A celebratory cupcake! One that would help ring in the New Year with a little something sweet. And what goes better with champagne than strawberries. Champagne and Strawberry cupcakes with a light champagne buttercream frosting that will melt in your mouth. If you’re looking for something savory with your surprise stash of leftover bubbly you should definitely make these braised chicken thighs….they are TO.DIE.FOR! Here’s hoping 2013 will be something spectacular…..like these cupcakes!
A Toast to the New Year – Champagne and Strawberry Cupcakes with Champagne Buttercream
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup champagne or sparkling wine
- 1/4 cup pureed fresh strawberries (you can use frozen but be sure to measure the berries after they've been pureed)
For the buttercream frosting
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons champagne or sparkling wine
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time being sure to beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, champagne and pureed strawberries.
- Gradually add half the dry ingredients and half the sour cream mixture, to the butter/sugar mixture on low-speed of a stand mixer. Add the remaining dry ingredients and the remainder of the sour cream mixture being sure that all ingredients are thoroughly mix together. Do not over beat.
- Fill cupcake wrappers 1/2 full with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Over medium/high heat, cook 1 cup of the champagne in a small pan until reduced to approximately 2 tablespoons. Pour into a small bowl and allow to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, and beat until fluffy. Pour in the reduced champagne plus the additional 2 tablespoons of champagne and mix well. Add the remaining cup and a half of confectioners' sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes with the buttercream and decorate as desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 389kcal Calories from fat 175|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|