Par-boiled potatoes, lighted crushed with a fork and roasted in a light drizzle of olive oil, become crispy on the outside….soft and buttery on the inside. Crispy Smashed Skillet Potatoes are the perfect side dish for any family dinner.
Sometimes laziness prevails. Sometimes I get lucky because I didn’t feel like following through on mashed potatoes. Sometimes taking my frustrations out on some pee-wee potatoes by crushing them with a fork works out in my favor.
I was kind of in the mood for mashed potatoes when this recipe for Crispy Smashed Skillet Potatoes was developed and while the potatoes were boiling…I changed my mind. I wanted something crispy. Like hash browns or home fries but without the mess on the stove top from the splatter in the pan. I hate cleaning the stove top. HATE IT.
I decided halfway through their cooking time I would and smash those buggers down. Toss with some olive oil and herbs, toss it in the oven and call it a day. I used a potato masher….don’t use a potato masher unless you want….mashed potatoes. I used a fork instead and lightly smashed them so they were still in tact. And you won’t be able to toss the potatoes in olive oil so drizzle with olive oil….good extra virgin if you have it. And throw in some herbs…I used thyme but you can change this up with whatever you have lying around.
And stir….don’t forget to toss them around a couple of times during cooking so they all have a chance to get golden and crispy and delightfully crunchy.
These Crispy Smashed Skillet Potatoes are the perfect side for a Sunday roasted chicken…..or just topped with a fried egg. They’re also amazing with this easy rack of lamb. Moods can change on a dime….go with it.
Crispy Smashed Skillet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds small yellow potatoes (I used Melissa's Pee-Wee potatoes)
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used California Olive Ranch)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with water. Season the water with salt and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a heavy bottomed skillet.
- With a fork, lightly smash the potatoes being careful not to go all the way through. Top the potatoes with the garlic and thyme and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 45 minutes being sure to stir the potatoes every 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 153kcal Calories from fat 62|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|