A one-pot dinner that’s bright, fresh and family friendly! Easy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore is both hearty and light, healthy and tasty, kid and parent approved. Fresh peppers, mushrooms, tomato, onion and garlic create the perfect sauce for the crispy chicken, double the recipe and it’s perfect for entertaining.
Today…..I have to do my taxes. It’s a scary thing and I’m the biggest procrastinator ever. My receipts are stuffed into one pocket of an accordion file and my pay stubs in another. Nothing is filed by month….it’s just stuffed in there with no rhyme or reason. I’m the worst when it comes to organization and I know I have a lot of sifting to do. It’s a horrible mess and I made it myself. If one were to be proud of a mess….this is the mess to be proud of. It’s pretty epic. So, that’s what I’ll be doing all day and it’s the most dreaded task of my job. I’m even missing lunch with my old co-workers from my last job which is a big, huge bummer.
But all whining aside, it’s a once a year task, if I can keep myself organized this year it should be a breeze next year. Right? Well….here’s a big newsflash…it’s April and I’m working the same system so I’m not going to hold my breath. But in the meantime, I’ll be whipping up more quick and easy dinner recipes for all of you because the weather is getting warmer and I know everyone has after-school sporting events, races and other extra-curricular activities to get to after work. Or you just want to enjoy a nice evening outside with a drink in hand. Either way, I made an Easy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore that you are just going to LOVE!
Just like a few of my favorite other skillet recipes like this Cheeseburger Macaroni (holy YUM!) and this little Chicken Tarragon number, this beauty comes together in just one pot. ONE POT TO CLEAN! Yay! I hate dishes as much as taxed so this is a huge deal for me. The one pot dinner. Now I do like to serve a side dish but you could easily microwave some rice or boil some pasta like I did here. Or go all out and make a quick pasta dish to plop all that sauce on top with the chicken making it pretty insanely amazing if I do say so myself.
This Easy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore is filled with sautéed onions, pepper, garlic and cremini mushrooms then simmered with a bit of red wine. You can skip it if you don’t like wine but it does give it a beautiful tannic background that just makes the dish. Next, I stir in my favorite Fire Roasted Tomatoes from Muir Glen and a small can of tomato sauce. Lightly spiced with Italian seasoning, this sauce would be fantastic just on it’s own but it’s over the top tasty with the crispy skinned chicken thighs. Seriously, don’t you want to take a big ole bite right now?
Easy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning (I like Spice Islands)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (I use Muir Glen
- 1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce (I use Muir Glen)
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley and basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the skillet skin side down, working in batches if necessary so you don't crowd the pan. Cook the chicken until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Flip the chicken and cook on the other side until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate or platter and pour the fat out of the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add the peppers to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the italian seasoning and wine. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the wine has reduced by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up.
- Transfer the skillet to oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with basil and parsley. Serve immediately
|Serving Size||2 chicken thighs and 1/2 cup sauce|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 783kcal Calories from fat 483|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 54g||83%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|