Seriously the BEST Salisbury Steak Recipe of all time, a true winner in my house. This easy one-pot Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy is quick, simple and loaded with meaty goodness. A great dinner for every night of the week.
Happy Hump Day! I’m really excited today because we’re having our carpets professionally cleaned. The carpet cleaning company will be here anytime between 11-4 today so I’ll be holed up in the kitchen working until they get here…which, in my experience, will be around the 3:45 mark. Kind of lame but it gives me a great excuse NOT to go to the gym. And it’s a beautiful morning so my plans include soaking up a bit of vitamin D on my back deck while I work. Not too shabby for a Wednesday. But clean carpets….I’m super pumped….and now you know how exciting my life has been lately.
So, I was craving a little Salisbury Steak a few days ago….my mom used to make it all the time when I was little. The frozen Salisbury Steaks were the bomb and I remember wanting that whole tray for myself. I mean, what’s better than thin little burgers smothered in gravy, am I right? But I was so lazy, I didn’t feel like driving to the store so I created my own version at home….in minutes….the VERY BEST Salisbury Steak Recipe on the planet. Really, with ingredients I just had around the kitchen. And they were dreamy….completely blowing away anything in a box. The flavor is completely amazing, better than a burger and I threw in a little concentrated tomato paste to boost the yum factor even more.
The Very Best Salisbury Steak Recipe is topped with a simple, superbly epic mushroom gravy that cooks in the same pan you just browned your steaks in. Then you toss the steaks back into the pan so they can soak up all that wonderfulness you just created with your few simple ingredients. The whole deal is ready in under 30 minutes and if you have some leftover potatoes from Sunday supper and some easy green vegetables, your family will be eating dinner in no time flat.
I like to serve my Salisbury Steak on top of a fluffy pile of the Very Best Mashed Potatoes with a side of steamed green beans…..for the Very Best Dinner ever. 🙂
The Very Best Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- pinch of salt
For the gravy
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 4 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley or chives
- In a large bowl, use your hands to blend together the beef, bread crumbs, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, onion powder, pepper and salt until well combined. Divide the beef mixture into four equal size portions and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat in a large cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet. Add the patties to the pan and cook until browned, approximately 2-3 minutes. Turn the patties over and cook for 3-4 minutes longer or until browned. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Pour off the fat in the pan and return to the heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened. Stir in the thyme, garlic powder and flour. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the beef stock scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the brown bits. Stir in the worcestershire sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. When the gravy begins to thicken, turn the heat down and stir in the butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the beef patties to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes or until they are no longer pink in the middle.
- Sprinkle with parsley or chives, if desired. Serve immediately