The classic Southern cocktail blended with blueberries for a tasty twist, this Blueberry Mint Julep is a must have at any Kentucky Derby celebration or your next Sunday Brunch! Blueberries, mint and bourbon with a touch of vanilla make these libations the hit of any party.
Day 2 of Brunch Week and I’m ready for a drink! There’s a ton going on this weekend with the Kentucky Derby and Mother’s Day all packed into one brunch worthy weekend. And it’s one more year that I won’t be scratching the derby off my bucket list. I’m dying to go one year to experience the festivities somewhere other than my living room sofa. I’ve always been a big horse fan…..and a big hat fan….so this is my kind of gig. Plus, you can eat Pimento Cheese and drink Mint Juleps all day long. Not too shabby if you ask me!
But instead, I’ll be somewhere north of the Mason Dixon line sipping these Blueberry Mint Juleps and noshing on a slice of Kentucky Bourbon Butter Cake wearing a giant hat while cheering on the horses. That’s my Mother’s Day gift to myself. 🙂 This Blueberry Mint Julep recipe is so easy to make and has just a little hint of Nielsen-Massey vanilla to make them absolutely stellar. Like a liquid blueberry pie with a bit of bourbon. Ok, a lot of bourbon but it’s Derby weekend and mom needs a cocktail.
Blueberry Mint Juleps are absolutely stunning too and a tray of them will be right at home next to any of these tasty treats from my blogger friends. They’re really hitting it out of the park this year with their super scrumptious recipes and if you become overwhelmed by all the choices just bust out your blender. Whip up a Blueberry Mint Julep and revisit them all again. Oh, and don’t forget to enter the Brunch Week raffle for your chance to win one of the awesome prize packs our sponsors have up for grabs!
Blueberry Mint Julep #BrunchWeek
- 2 cups blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces simple syrup
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 8 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups crushed ice
- Place 1 cup blueberries, simple syrup, bourbon and vanilla in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Divide the remaining blueberries between 4 julep cups and top each with two mint leaves.
- Using a muddler, mash the blueberries and mint.
- Add crushed ice to each cup. Divide the blueberry puree between the four julep cups and stir. Garnish with mint and blueberries. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 julep cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 149kcal Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- Bluberry Mint Julep by The Suburban Soapbox
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Lemon-Glazed Banana and Candied Ginger Scones by The Texan New Yorker
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins by Feeding Big and more
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts by The Chef Next Door
- Braided Pepperoni Pizza Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- French Toast with Apple Compote and Caramel Syrup by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Sticky Buns by The Barbee Housewife
- Orange Cardamom Pancakes by Nik Snacks
- Same Day Mock Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple and Caramelized Onion Tart by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Tropical Smoothie by Gluten Free Crumbley
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Breakfast Burger by Cooking In Stilettos
- Fiddlehead, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Quiche by Palatable Pastime
- Poached Eggs on Asparagus Bundled with Prosciutto on Cheesy Polenta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Baked Seafood Stuffed Avocados by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Fried Chicken Biscuits and Gravy Sandwich by From Gate to Plate
- Kielbasa Welsh Rarebit by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pulled Pork Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sausage and Fried Apples by Making Miracles
- Brie and Raspberry Tarts by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Lemon Meringue Angel Food Cake by Love & Confections
- Lemon Zucchini Bread by Sweet Beginnings
- Tropical Orange Cheesecake with Caramel-Rum Sauce by Wholistic Woman
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Vidalia Onion Committee, Sage Fruits, Nielsen-Massey, KitchenIQ, and Le Creuset for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own. This recipe is intended for individuals ages 21 & up. Please drink responsibly.