Rich and cheesy, this Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a great addition to your weekly meal rotation. Quick and easy to make, it’s creamy, salty and packed full of bite sized pieces of broccoli creating a filling meal perfect for chilly evenings.
So….I’m a bad American right now. The debate is just minutes away and I have decided to binge watch Friends. The thought of watching those two “people” spew about why one is better than the other when I really think there has GOT to be a better choice out there just makes my head hurt. I have never been so disturbed by the thought of an election and, frankly, I would like it all to just go away so I can enjoy fall. Today was the first “really” chilly day this season and it dawned on me that this is exactly the time of year when I just don’t know how to dress myself. Or my child. You know those days when you step out in the morning and have to run back in for a sweater or jacket….but then 4 hours later you need to strip down to your skivvies because it’s now 90 degrees outside.
Well, today wasn’t one of those days…in fact, I could have used an extra three layers to keep warm. These are the days I like to have an easy soup recipe to come home to that doesn’t take hours to make, isn’t loaded with processed “junk” and isn’t from my local chain restaurant like this Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup. (Panera…I mean, you!) One of our favorite stand-bys here in my house is this easy Sausage Soup that’s ready in minutes. I’ve been making it for years and, basically, rotating it in and out of our weekly line up with this simple Chicken Noodle Soup and Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
This Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is….well, easy to make. I started with some fresh veggies and homemade chicken stock. You can use store-bought but be sure to use low-sodium because that’s just the healthy thing to do and I’m trying to keep us all skinny before the holiday parties start weighing us all down. This recipe is not loaded with butter and cream or chemicals….but there is cheese so it’s super delicious and you may not want to share with anyone. But the recipe makes a ton so you can share and still have a ton left for just you. You and your fluffy sweaters on a chilly night when you’re watching Ross and Rachel just take a break.
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup matchstick cut carrots, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups finely chopped frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery to the pot cooking until softened, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for 2 additional minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the broccoli and cornstarch to the pot stirring to combine.
- Stir in the chicken stock, onion powder and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Allow the soup to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add the milk to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the soup and stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 1/2 cups|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 229kcal Calories from fat 119|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|