Rich, creamy Easy Chicken Marsala Skillet is the one pot dinner your family will rave about. Easy to make with ingredients you probably already have, this simple dinner is loaded with mushrooms, tender chicken and a thick savory sauce that’s wonderful over pasta. Ready in no time flat!
You know what I hate? Wind….especially wind during the fall when I’m enjoying the blazing colors of the leaves and a big gust comes by blowing them all off the trees. Talk about a winter slap in the face! We live on top of a hill so there’s not hiding from windy days…we get the best part of them, the big gusts and chilly air. It’s super awesome up here on our hill. Plus, even though we have, virtually, no trees on our property….it is, currently, speckled with leaves. You know those leaves that are supposed to be on the trees. And as much as everyone has been whining about the hot fall days, I was kind of digging it. Flip flops and jeans? That’s my kind of fashion.
But since the wind has picked up and reminded me that winter is coming, I picked up a couple pairs of boots, some sweaters and whipped up the best comfort food on the planet. Easy Chicken Marsala Skillet is creamy, rich family fare that just warms your bones almost as much as a bowl of chicken soup. Served over noodles this is the dinner of my dreams. I tend to order it whenever we go out to an Italian restaurant and more often than not I’m thoroughly disappointed. Too salty, too thick, too dry, too greasy. There is a very small window of perfection when it comes to this recipe and I’m certain you’re going to love mine.
It all starts with some boneless, skinless chicken breasts…sliced in half horizontally. Slicing them in half does two things….it speeds up the cooking time and helps keep the chicken tender because you’ll be less likely to overcook it….drying it out. Got it? Don’t skip this step. Then I sauté some onions, garlic and mushrooms….lots and lots of mushrooms because they’ll cook down and you’ll wonder where all the mushrooms went. And then it’s too late to add more because they’ll cook unevenly so don’t be afraid to heap those mushroom to the heavens….they will cook down a ton.
Then you make the sauce which requires deglazing the pan with some Marsala wine….a gift from the heavens. If you’re not an alcohol person you can skip it and use the same amount of chicken stock or apple juice is a good substitute but then it’s not Chicken Marsala. Know what I mean? But do what works for you because you, ultimately, have to eat it. Scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan…these little pieces add to the flavor and also make cleaning your pan later So.Much.Easier. When that comes to a boil, stir in a bit of cream or half and half.
Nestle that chicken back in the skillet and simmer for a bit. Now it’s time to eat….I like to serve my Easy Chicken Marsala Skillet with a pasta dish like my favorite Spaghetti Aglio e Olio. Or skip the pasta and pair with a salad. Or go totally against the norm and serve with some mashed potatoes. I won’t judge. And if you love this recipe you may want to check out this Chicken Cacciatore Skillet or this simple Chicken with Tarragon….both winners on my family table. Mangia!
Easy Chicken Marsala Skillet
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry marsala wine
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, coating on both sides and shaking off the excess.
- Place the chicken in the skillet and cook until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Work in batches, if necessary.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate or platter and keep warm.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt.
- Stir in the onions and cook until beginning to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until softened or golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the marsala wine and deglaze the pan scraping the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Stirn in the chicken stock and half and half. Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat to low.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 371kcal Calories from fat 195|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 22g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|