Inspired by a Starbucks Bistro Box, this Southwest Style Steak Wrap is what you want to pack in your weekday lunch box. Bright, fresh flavor is wrapped up with chimichurri marinated steak, black beans and corn for a true fiesta in your mouth!
Day 2 of the healthy eating and I just housed down two slices of pepperoni pizza. I don’t feel guilty about it…which is why I’m telling you now. It happens and one can’t expect to just slip back into a healthier regimen when their entire previous month was sustained on a heavy diet of chocolate, cookies and dip. I mean….I think it could be a health hazard if I suddenly lived on a steady diet of greens. But we will get there…slowly but surely….and if that means a few slip ups then that’s ok. We have to live a little too, right?
But today I’m sharing one of my favorite lunches of all time…inspired by something I picked up on a whim at Starbucks to balance out my calorie heavy caramel macchiato. This Southwest Style Steak Wrap has been ready for posting since the summer and I just didn’t have time to share it. But there’s no better time than the present…and even though I made it on the grill in the summer, it’s just as great when you make it indoors on a grill pan or in a skillet. The flavor comes from the amazing chimichurri sauce that you’re going to want to put on absolutely everything in the future. So make extra.
My copycat version Southwest Style Steak Wrap is a cornucopia of bright, fresh flavors all rolled up in a soft wrap. It takes a bit of time to prep the ingredients but you can take care of it all on Sunday for quick assembly during the week. Roasted corn, chipotle mayo, black beans….it’s all the perfect blend of ingredients that will take you’re mouth on a wild vacation right there in your teeny little cubicle. Or, if you’re like me, your kitchen desk.
To make your Southwest Style Steak Wrap, you’ll marinade your steak for an hour…or overnight is even better. Toss on the grill, then let it rest for a bit. Slice thin and set aside.
Spread your chipotle mayo on the wrap then layer the ingredients. Roll up, cut in half….dig in.
The only thing better than this Southwest Style Steak is my very favorite tuna salad or this Chicken club. Serve any of them with these fiery chips and you have one amazing meal that will make your coworkers totally jealous.
Southwest Style Steak Wrap
Steak and chipotle mayonnaise can be made up to 1 day in advance. Corn can be cooked 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
For the steak
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound flank steak
For the chipotle mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 chipotle chiles from 1 can of chipotles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice and zest
For the sandwich
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced jicama (or red apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 flour tortillas or wraps (I love FlatOut flatbread wraps)
- In a blender, puree the parsley, olive oil, vinegar, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, crushed red pepper and salt until almost smooth.
- Pour the ingredients into a large zip top bag and add the steak. Seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat the grill.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil. Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the steak across the grain in thin strips and set aside.
- In the blender, puree the mayonnaise, sour cream, chipotle chiles, lime juice and zest until smooth.
- Transer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the corn until it begins to char. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble the wrap, spread about 2 tablespoons mayonnaise on one side of one wrap being sure to cover the entire surface. Arrange the lettuce, corn, black beans, bell pepper, jicama and steak on the wrap. Sprinkle with cilantro and roll up the wrap until sealed.
- Cut the wrap in half and serve immediately.
- Repeat with remaining flatbread/tortillas.
|Serving Size||1 wrap|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 908kcal Calories from fat 579|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 64g||98%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|