Thick, rich and hearty, Creamy White Chicken Chili is the ultimate in flavorful comfort food. Made with whole ingredients that are healthy and satisfying, this easy chili recipe tastes like it simmered all day but is ready in just 30 minutes. The perfect weeknight dinner.
Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a great first week of 2017. I managed to fight a cold the past three weeks and finally lost the battle. If I can be thankful for one thing…it’s that it waited until after my schedule settled down a bit before beating my immune system. I had that scratchy throat thing going on since BEFORE Christmas and was hoping I’d make it to the new year so I wasn’t stuffy and out of it for my Fox segment last week. And we made it. It’s a bummer but if that’s the worst thing going on in my life right now….I’ll take it.
Now, all I want is comfort food which kind of makes it a bit difficult to lighten up the meals when all you crave is mac and cheese and brownies. But I’m trying my best to rid myself of those few pounds that managed to creep up on me during the last two months of the year. So, I made one of my favorite recipes….lightened it up just a tad and, let me just say, it’s better than the original which I never even shared here now that we’re talking about it. This Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe is simply phenomenal in every sense of the word. It’s creamy, rich, thick, hearty, spicy, fresh and totally satisfying. And best of all…..it’s not loaded with heavy cream AND it’s totally gluten free.
I’m a huge fan of cream soups like this easy Creamy Chicken Soup that’s a huge hit here on the blog. So, I ventured in that same direction with this Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe to try to keep the calories in check but still making sure it’s a total flavor bomb. I’ve ordered White Chicken Chili out at restaurants and am almost always disappointed….it’s usually not that creamy and sometimes it’s not even white. Like it’s brown….so it’s not white…so what the heck is that all about. Just call it Chicken Chili then, am I right?
Also, I’m not usually a fan of beans…..I totally left them out of my favorite Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chili (which is award winning, by the way…just check out the comments!). But this time I added one can of beans to the mix just to beef up the heartiness and it wasn’t really chili if I didn’t add beans….it was kind of just a creamy chicken soup with a southwester flair. So, beans when in and it was a wise decision. I, also, used leftover chicken from the weekend to help make the recipe come together more quickly, you could just pick up a rotisserie chicken if you’re in a time crunch. Easy Peasy!
AND bonus points here….this Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe is ready in just 30 minutes. WHAT???? Yes, that’s right, just 30 minutes for a big ole pot of comfort that’s perfect for busy weeknights….game day…..lazy Sunday. You name it. It’s quick, it’s easy and it’s fantastic with a pile of these homemade tortilla chips. And maybe some guac.
Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 15.5 ounce can small white beans (or your favorite white bean)
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup shredded white sharp cheddar
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Stir in the chicken and cornstarch, cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the lime zest, juice and beans.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the half and half. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and cheddar.
- Continue to cook the chili for 5-10 minutes longer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, jalapeño slices, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips and limes.
|Serving Size||1 1/2 cups|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 427kcal Calories from fat 228|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 25g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|