Simple ingredients like butter, cream and cheese are the base for the Best Fettuccine Alfredo recipe. Quick and easy, this comfort classic Italian meal is great for busy weeknights.
Happy Monday! My WHOLE family just got back from a huge Italian meal at Buca di Beppo. We all live kind of spread out so we met somewhere in the middle and that somewhere was the perfect place for Sunday family dinner. If you’ve never been there, think insanely large platters overflowing with chopped salads, pasta and gravy laden cuts of chicken breast blanketed with melty cheese. It’s a carb lovers heaven. Which I am…so it was a feast I was thrilled to attend.
You would think that Italian food, in all it’s simplicity, would be easy to duplicate….ensuring a fabulous meal whenever you order a pasta dish at any restaurant. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. My absolute favorite pasta dinner of all time is Fettuccine Alfredo….and boy, have I had some bad Alfredo. It’s really not hard to make at all, especially when you have high quality ingredients at the ready like really great butter, fresh parmesan cheese, cream and the finest pasta around. Combined with a little bit of love and you have the Very Best Fettuccine Alfredo ever made….right in your own kitchen.
This Fettuccine Alfredo recipe is great for a cozy weeknight dinner, it’s ready in minutes and the best comfort food ever. I start by melting butter in a pot, then whisking in the cream and bringing the mixture to a simmer. I then turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, zest, a boatload of freshly grated parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. You really could do whatever you want with the sauce at this point but I love to toss my favorite pasta in it….right in the pot so that the starch from the pasta helps to thicken the sauce just a bit more. I LOVE DeLallo Fettuccine Egg Pasta, the sauce coats each strand of pasta perfectly. Each tender bite is like a little bit of heaven on the end of your fork.
Soooo….the moral of this story is, if you don’t have a place like Buca near by to feast with your family…make a family feast at home with your favorite pasta like DeLallo Fettuccine Egg Pasta with the Very Best Fettuccine Alfredo. You could round out the spread with this simple (and equally quick) Chicken Parmesan…keep things simple with this Spaghetti Aglio e Olio or throw in a simple stove top Marinara with the BEST meatballs ever made. All without even leaving your house. Mangia!
The Very Best Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- 1 8.8 ounce package DeLallo Fettuccine Egg Pasta (or your favorite fettuccine)
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, if desired
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions, just until al dente. (Pasta will continue to cook when added to the sauce.)
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the cream and half and half. Heat the cream just to a simmer. Turn the heat off and whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of cheese and stir until smooth. Stir in the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and the remaining cheese. Toss to coat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 953kcal Calories from fat 625|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 69g||106%|
|Saturated Fat 43g||215%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|