Sweet summer corn and salty bacon are a match made in heaven….and this Grilled Corn Pizza with Bacon and Chives is heaven on Earth. Perfectly charred crust is topped with a zingy horseradish sauce then sprinkled with caramelized sweet corn, bacon and fresh snipped chives. Inspired by a local favorite, this is one of summer’s greatest creations.
I’m a sucker for sweet corn….the kind that you buy off the back of a tractor packed on the side of a field. The kind you have to shuck yourself and cover yourself in corn silk…..the kind you slather with half a stick of butter and sprinkle with sea salt. That’s one of my favorite flavors of summer. Better than a bowl full of buttered popcorn…even though they are basically the same thing. But not. Sweet corn is like a peach to me….I savor them as much as I can while their season lasts because before you know it, it’s over. And you’re biting into a piece of starchy corn or mealy peach while you’re trying to hang onto summer with a death grip.
A local pizza place right down the street created a pizza that’s topped with fresh summer sweet corn. It’s called….the corn pie. 🙂 So clever with that name but it doesn’t leave any question as to what is on it. I crave it all year long and so, I created my own recipe for their corn pie and took it one step further by grilling both the corn AND the crust…..and so, now, we have Grilled Corn Pizza with Bacon and Chives.
I used my easy Pizza Dough recipe for the base and divided it into two equal pieces so you’ll, essentially, have to pizzas when you’re done. You can save the second dough for later or make an entirely different pizza if you’d like. And while a lot of people love a red sauced pizza (and you can use this No Cook Pizza Sauce if you’re tied to red pizza ONLY) I, actually, used a horseradish sauce from THIS Prime Rib recipe because…..why not.
And while you can make this Grilled Corn Pizza with Bacon and Chives all year long substituting the fresh corn with frozen corn that’s been thawed and charred in a skillet….it’s, as you can guess, so much better in the summer with freshly shucked sweet corn. It would be a fantastic addition to a pizza party for Pizza Fridays along with this California Club Pizza and this Grilled Margherita Pizza. OR you could totally add this Chicken Enchilada Pizza to the grill…..hello, tailgating party!!!!
Grilled Corn Pizza with Bacon and Chives
- 1 No Fail Pizza Dough recipe (Or your favorite ready made pizza dough)
- 2 ears sweet corn, shucked and silk removed
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbed
- 1 cup horseradish-mustard sauce
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Prepare the grill.
- Brush the corn with olive oil and place directly on the grill grates. Cook until slightly charred, turning every couple minutes to cook each side. Remove from the grill and rest until cool enough to handle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Brush the grill grates with olive oil.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll out until approximately 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the dough directly on the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Flip the dough over and top each with 1/2 the horseradish sauce. Turn off the heat and divide the toppings (both cheeses, corn and bacon) evenly between both pizzas. Close the grill to melt the cheese.
- Remove the pizzas to a serving platter and sprinkle with the chopped chives.
- Cut each pizza into 4-8 even pieces and serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|