Easy Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
No canned soup here, this Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is made in 10 minutes flat and is the perfect serving size for an intimate holiday dinner for 4 or less. Huge family coming for the holiday, this recipe is easily doubled or tripled to accommodate a lot of guests or big appetites!
Disclaimer: I received free samples of Libby’s new Vegetable Pouches mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Thanksgiving is coming….did you know? Every year it sneaks up on me….every.single.year. I just looked at the calendar the other day and gasped! Three weeks! Three weeks. I think I had this same rant in my last post. How do I always lose track of time??? So, in an effort to simplify things in the kitchen this year, I’ve tried to make a few recipes that take minutes to prepare. And no processed food. No cream of mushroom, no freeze dried onions, I’m not doing it. I can’t in good conscience stuff my guests full of sodium and preservatives. BUT I do like convenience and creaminess and cheese. Lots of cheese. 🙂
Libby’s is launching a great product that will shave valuable minutes off your prep time when making side dishes and appetizers this year. I was lucky enough to receive their new Vegetable Pouches and decided to take a swing at making a quick and easy green bean casserole. Their Vegetable Pouches are super convenient because you can heat the vegetables in the microwave….45 seconds is all it took to heat them up. I whipped up an easy cheesy sauce in a skillet and then mixed in the beans. Sprinkled the top with crispy panko and tossed it under the broiler for a few minutes. Done.
Are you in? Are you missing the mushrooms? You could easily add a canned mushroom but I’m not a huge fan and frankly, this casserole didn’t need them. You won’t miss them at all because the sharp cheese and crispy top will be all your guests will be thinking about.
Libby’s Vegetable Pouches will be available in Walmart stores soon….check them out!
Get the Recipe: Easy Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- 1 13 ounce Libby's Vegetable Pouch Green Beans
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup 2 % milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch kosher salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Asiago Cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Heat the green beans according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and then whisk in the flour. Cook the flour until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes and then slowly whisk in the milk. Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and continue whisking until thickened, approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Add the green beans and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish coated with cooking spray and sprinkle with the panko. Lightly spray the panko with the cooking spray and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.