Easy Salads for Outdoor Entertaining
Picnics, barbecues and cookouts don’t have to be gut busting. Offer some healthy, light salads at your next gathering to give your guests options or to keep your own waistline in check.
When the weather gets hot, I lose my appetite. I just don’t have a hankering for heavy pasta dishes or a giant slab of grilled ribs. As tasty as they sound and as delicious as they are (I DO LOVE ribs!!!), when the temperatures creep into the 90’s….I crave something light and refreshing. Fruit usually fits the bill for me but a loaded salad with lots of different vegetables and a tangy dressing can save the day. That’s why I rounded up some of my favorite salads on Foodie.com to help make your next event super simple. From my favorite Thai Chicken Salad to a fresh Cantaloupe Salad, you will find everything you need to host your next brunch, lunch or poolside dinner.
Check out Easy Salads for Outdoor Entertaining
Another favorite of mine is my Blueberry Feta and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing. It’s one of the most popular recipes on The Suburban Soapbox. It’s easy to make and a great way to use up leftover quinoa! The best part about this salad is it’s even better the next day, the flavors just become married together and the quinoa soaks up the tangy dressing. It’s summer in a bowl….with a little added protein without having to eat a giant porterhouse steak. You can serve this as a light lunch or it’s amazing as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish.
Keep it light this summer and you’ll keep yourself light as well. That’s my plan because, as I’ve shared with you before, I became quite fluffy this past winter. Time to pull it together!
Blueberry Feta and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing
side any dish with this blueberry feta and quinoa salad!
- juice and zest of one large lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, olive oil, mustard, basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together the quinoa, blueberries, feta and pine nuts. Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Foodie.com. The Suburban Soapbox will be compensated for this content.