Golden Beet and Whipped Goat Cheese Salad with Walnut Mint Pesto
A beet salad that’s as beautiful to look at as it is to eat. Creamy goat cheese is whipped until light and fluffy and then stacked with a roasted golden beet. The Walnut Mint Pesto is the perfect topper for this easy to make and easy to impress dish.
Beet and Goat Cheese Salad is pretty much a summer staple. It’s on every restaurant menu and, as simple as it is, many people don’t make it at home. Which is surprising, given the number of friends I know that absolutely go bananas over it. Crazy…I know.
So, I gave it a little twist and turned it on it’s end. Impressed yet? Well, don’t be. Because this salad is three, super, easy components….roasted beets, whipped goat cheese and a simple pesto. All three items take about 3 minutes of prep work and can all be made in advance. Hosting your friends for lunch? This is the perfect salad for that occasion. Thank me later.
Or….if you don’t have friends or don’t like them very much to invite them for lunch….this could be your “Not Sad Desk Lunch” at work. You’ll have to assemble it at your desk, which takes seconds. Or store it in a can or something. Get creative…it’s your lunch! Or dinner. Your co-workers will think you went to culinary school when you were out with the ebola virus last winter. True stuff!
Get the Recipe: Golden Beet and Whipped Goat Cheese Salad with Walnut Mint Pesto
- For the beets:
- Three golden beets, stems cut off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- For the goat cheese:
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoons honey
- For the Mint Pesto:
- 2 cups lightly packed mint leaves
- 2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby arugula
- extra walnuts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Coat the beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the beets on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When cool, gently peel off the skins and slice the beets horizontally into 1/2 inch slices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the goat cheese, cream and honey with a hand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until light and fluffy. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the mint, basil, walnuts, garlic and olive oil. Process until all the ingredients are finely chopped and well blended. Add more oil if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To assemble, line each plate with arugula and one large beet slice. Spread one heaping tablespoon of the goat cheese over the beet and top with another beet. Repeat until each beet has been assembled and then drizzle with the pesto. Garnish with walnuts and serve immediately.