Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms // Video
Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are filled with a creamy, cheesy blend of spicy Italian sausage, cherry peppers and cream cheese then baked until they become a melted dream come true. The best appetizer at any holiday party or tailgate. Beware…they will go fast!
I found a recipe many years ago on Epicurious.com for Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms. It was my go-to appetizer for any party where I wanted to impress the hosts…and guests for that matter. If my husband hadn’t already put a ring on it….this recipe would surely have clinched it. It’s better than “Engagement Chicken”. So, if you’re a girl trying to convince the man of your dreams that you’re the lady of his dreams…take these bites of heaven to the next football party or tailgating event he drags you to. Unless he’s a vegetarian. Then make these insanely addictive Cranberry Cream Cheese Jalapeño Poppers. That’s should make him happy.
I added sweet and spicy red peppers, as well as, the juice from the jar. (A nifty little trick of mine from my chili recipes.) I also throw in more parmesan cheese and freshly chopped garlic. You can make the filling in advance and prepare the mushrooms…assemble and store in airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 24 hours in advance. Bake prior to serving. I’ve baked them at home and reheated them with success so you can do that if you’re in a time crunch.
These giant bites of sweet, cheesy goodness are very rich so you only need like one or three. Or four. But I think I stopped at four. Wait…how many are in the photos? I think I ate all of them.
Note: Photos have been updated as of December 9, 2015. All mushrooms in the photos were gone in minutes by some hungry neighbors that could smell them baking. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 🙂 Make a double batch!
Adapted from Bon Appetit November 2002
Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 3 hot italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces Spicy Sweet Red Peppers and 4 ounces of juice from the jar (I used Delallo)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 large mushrooms, stemmed and gills removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, saute the sausage over med-high heat until cooked through, breaking into small pieces with a fork. Add the oregano, garlic and red peppers continuing to cook for another minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Pour off and discard the fat. Return the sausage mixture to the warm pan with the heat off and add the red pepper juice, Worcestershire sauce, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray and brush the inside of each mushroom with olive oil. Fill each mushroom with approximately 1 tablespoon of the filling and arrange the mushrooms, filling side up, in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until mushrooms are tender and the filling is brown on top. Approximately 25 minutes.