Limited Edition Red Velvet Oreos are crushed beyond recognition in a food processor, mixed with cream cheese and rolled into little bites of bliss. Then they’re coated in white chocolate and decorated for Valentine’s day making these Red Velvet Oreo Truffles the perfect gift for your sweetheart. Or the perfect gift to yourself.
I found them! Red Velvet Oreos DO exist and I found them at my local grocery store. I’ve been waiting for them since their rumored existence in the fall. And it’s not because I’m an Oreo fanatic or a red velvet monger….I was just curious about how this version would taste. I have never, ever in my life hunted down a special Oreo flavor but in this case, I felt an incredible urge. And so I did. And I like them. I actually love them.
They’re subtle though, don’t think there’s a heaping dollop of cream cheese filling. There’s not. And it barely tastes like cream cheese but the fact that it’s in an Oreo and has a hint of the cream cheese tang makes these a superstar in my book. The package is teeny tiny. Which was sad….so I bought two. You know, just in case my recipe creation was a flop. It wasn’t and now I have an extra package of Red Velvet Oreos. Which will be gone within 24 hours. This is worse than my issue with Girl Scout Cookies…which I have successfully kept out of the house this year. (And have been replaces with a Red Velvet Oreo issue.)
The Red Velvet Oreo Truffles are really simple to make. I made the filling in about 10 minutes…or less. I only had 10 minutes to make it so this is a guestimation but know if you have 10 minutes…you can make Red Velvet Oreo Truffle filling. Rolling them took less time….I’m not a perfectionist…if you are it may take you more time to get them all the same exact size and diameter. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
I used Wilton Candy Melts to dip them in and decorate because, again…..time. I love the candy melts because they’re consistent every single time, even if I over heat them in the microwave…if the chocolate seizes a little canola oil is all you need to fix that situation. Once the chocolate is melted you can dip away. This recipe is great for kids to get involved in since the only cooking involved is using the microwave. My 4 year old sous chef was off playing with his new sperm whales so I was on my own with this one.
Once the initial chocolate dip of the Red Velvet Oreo Truffles has hardened you can decorate as you desire. I made a quick squiggle on top and sprinkled with…you guessed it, sprinkles! (Such a cliffhanger there.) These would be a great treat to send to school for a Valentine’s party or to give as a gift (with my epic Fudge Brownies) OR to eat all of them in one sitting while watching How to Get Away With Murder. Just a little suggestion.
Red Velvet Oreo Truffles
- 1 package Red Velvet Oreos (20 cookies)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups white chocolate (I used Wilton Candy Melts)
- 1/2 cup red Wilton Candy Melts, optional (for decorating)
- sprinkles for decorating
- In a food processor, crush the Oreos until fine crumbs form. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer and combine with the cream cheese until smooth.
- Form the mixture into 30 balls of equal size and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Freeze the truffles for 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave at 15 second intervals until completely melted. Remove the truffles from the freezer and dip one in the chocolate, turning to coat completely. Return the truffle to the baking sheet and allow to harden. Repeat with the remaining truffles until all are coated in chocolate.
- Melt the red chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave at 15 second intervals until completely melted. Transfer to the chocolate to a squeeze bottle, piping bag or ziplock bag with the corner snipped of. Decorate your truffles with the chocolate and sprinkles, if using.
- Allow the chocolate to harden. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 4866kcal Calories from fat 2496|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 277g||426%|
|Saturated Fat 139g||695%|
|Dietary Fiber 19g||76%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|