Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is a classic take out entree that’s so much better when made at home! Tender bites of broccoli are served with perfectly cooked flank steak. The best part, of course, is the mouthwatering homemade sauce that coats every single bite.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
If there’s one thing about me… it’s that I’ll be getting beef and broccoli pretty much any time I order take out! And while I truly haven’t met a serving of beef and broccoli I haven’t liked, it’s fair to say that they’re certainly not all created equal.
This homemade recipe for Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is by far the BEST I’ve ever had, and trust me – I’ve had a lot!
I really think what makes this stir fry a step above the rest is the homemade sauce. Bold ingredients like soy sauce, chili paste, honey and more come together to create a perfectly balanced sauce that’s savory, just a little salty, and has a note of sweetness that really seals the deal. It’s so much better than the store-bought stuff in terms of both flavor and consistency.
The sauce is so good, in fact, that you really shouldn’t let any of it go to waste! Consider serving your homemade beef and broccoli the traditional way, with a side of fluffy white rice.
Rice is a great side dish because it really rounds out the meal and most importantly, grips the sauce. However, you can also skip the rice and enjoy the beef and broccoli as is if you’re looking for a low-carb dinner.
How to Make Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
This easy dinner recipe comes together in less than thirty minutes! It’s perfect for those hectic weeknights when you want something homemade, filling, and flavorful on the dinner table.
- Cook the steak. Heat up some oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the steak until it’s brown.
- Add the broccoli. Move the browned steak to the sides of the pan and add the broccoli. Cook for a few minutes, then also push it to the sides of the pan.
- Add the final ingredients. Add a little more oil to the center of the pan. Add the ginger and garlic, cooking for just a minute until they’re aromatic. Add the sauce mixture to the pan and stir everything to combine.
- Cook for just a few more minutes. Continue cooking the saucy beef and broccoli for another 2-3 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Beef and Broccoli
Make sure your beef and broccoli is pretty perfect every time with these simple tips:
- Use fresh garlic and ginger. This is SO important! Pre-minced garlic or dried ginger just won’t lend the same bold flavor as the real deal. While you can definitely use either of those alternatives in a pinch, it’s always best to go fresh with aromatic ingredients.
- Avoid using frozen broccoli. I’ve noticed that when I’ve tried using frozen broccoli in this recipe, it turns pretty mushy. Fresh broccoli always keeps its shape and turns that vibrant green color we all love!
- Low-sodium soy sauce works best. Plain soy sauce tends to make things a little too salty. To avoid an overly salty dish, consider using low sodium soy sauce! You can also use other options like coconut aminos or tamari.
Storing Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
If you have any leftovers, you’re in luck! This meal reheats wonderfully, especially if you’re able to toss it back in the skillet. Once it adjusts to room temperature, transfer the beef and broccoli to an airtight container and place it in the fridge. Properly stored, it will stay fresh for about 2-3 days.
Check out more of my favorite Chinese-inspired entrees!
Get the Recipe: Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 pound flank steak, cut across the grain into 2 inch x 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 wok
- In a large bowl, toss the steak with the cornstarch to coat and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili paste and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large wok, stir-fry pan or skillet over medium-high heat and add the steak to the pan. Working in batches if necessary, cook the steak until brown and no longer pink.
- Move the steak to the sides of the pan and add the broccoli. Cook the broccoli until bright green and then move to the sides of the pan with the steak.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the ginger and garlic, cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce mixture and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes and then serve immediately over rice, if desired.
2 Comments on “Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry”
Quinoa is one of my favorite grains! It’s chock full of protein too.
This sounds amazing. Thanks for posting this recipe up. Simon