Cinnamon Apple Walnut Goat Cheese Ball
Tangy, creamy goat cheese is whipped with cream cheese and then rolled in a mixture of spiced up walnuts and apples. A showstopper on any cheese plate or crudite tray this holiday season.
I’m a cheese freak. I could spend an hour in the cheese section of my grocery store, just sniffing around and looking for that perfect wedge or wheel. I love when they give out samples because that means….free lunch. Kinda. I have to go back a few times and maybe throw on my shades and a hat so they don’t know it’s me that’s come back for the 65th time in the past 10 minutes but cheese is filling. And healthy, it’s protein and dairy. So it’s good for you. I know what I’m talking about here. And you never get bored with cheese. There are just so many varieties that you could eat a new cheese every day for months without repeating the same cheese twice. Fascinating.
I also like making a small cheese plate for dinner…last night it was cheddar with Summer Sausage, pears, crackers and this newly concocted Cinnamon Apple Walnut Goat Cheese Ball. It’s a mouthful…I know but descriptive. Don’t you think? And it’s ethereal. I’m serious. You will eat more than you initially planned to. Before you know it…you will be the person at the party saying, “OMG…did you try that cheese ball?” And everyone else will say, “No, we didn’t…you ate the whole thing you glutton.” But don’t feel bad. One taste and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Knowing this ahead of time will help you practice some restraint. Sharing is caring. Say it with me. 🙂
I made this Cinnamon Apple Walnut Goat Cheese Ball in under 10 minutes. The hardest part was mixing the two cheeses together. I’m not kidding. The freeze dried apples (yes, freeze dried apples) and walnuts came together in a mini food processor in under a minute. Then you just roll the ball around in the mixture until coated. So, so easy. I say screw the dip and make this ball. Serve it with some buttery crackers and fruit….a little wine….you will be the hit of the party!
Now…a quick note. Where do you find freeze dried apples, you ask? I found mine in the produce section of my grocery store, however, they are also sold at Trader Joe’s in the nut section and Whole Foods also sells them in their packaged nuts and kale chip section. (I have never seen so many varieties of kale chips in my life.) Just ask your customer service department if you can’t find them. Also, you will have enough nut/apple crumbs to coat a second ball. I stash mine away for a quick cheese ball emergency….like those dropper inners that appear out of nowhere during the holidays. 🙂 You’ll look like a party planning pro!
Get the Recipe: Cinnamon Apple Walnut Goat Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup freeze dried apples
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cheeses with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mini food processor, pulse the apples and walnuts until finely chopped. Transfer to the mixture to a medium bowl and mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.
- Form the cheese mixture into a ball and roll around in the nuts pressing firmly so they adhere to the ball. Continue rolling around until the entire ball is coated and no cheese is showing through. Transfer to a plate and chill until firm.
- Reform the cheese into a ball if it has lost it's shape before serving. Serve at room temperature.