Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe
This classic Creamed Chipped Beef recipe is easy to make in just a matter of minutes for a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs meal. Made with common kitchen ingredients, this is a recipe you can make on the fly.
Creamed Chipped Beef
Fast and easy meals are my mantra right now with school back in session. Even though we’re learning from home at the moment, I feel like the days are even more jam packed and hurried.
I’ve been making our favorite comfort foods to get us back into a rhythm of busy school days and this Creamed Chipped Beef on toast is on the menu for the rest of the year.
What is Creamed Chipped Beef?
Creamed Chipped Beef is a classic recipe made of a creamy white sauce that’s very much like a Bechamel Sauce. It’s lightly seasoned and blankets pieces of dried beef.
Most often served over toast, it’s equally amazing served over eggs or a pile of mashed potatoes.
Creamed Chipped Beef is also known as SOS gravy or “shit on a shingle” because of it’s appearance and was popular in the mess halls of our military. It’s very much like sausage gravy but without the sausage, of course.
How To Make It
Creamed Chipped Beef on toast is really simple to make and only takes just a few minutes to whip up making it a great weeknight dinner option.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Whisk in the flour and cook until the flour turned golden brown.
Stir in the milk, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper, whisking constantly, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
Add the chopped beef and stir to combine.
Toast the bread.
Spoon the chipped beef gravy over the toast and serve.
I’ve been making SOS gravy for a REALLY long time and have a few tips to share so you can achieve the BEST Creamed Chipped Beef ever.
- Fresh chipped beef from your deli is best but you can find jars of chipped beef with your canned meats.
- If using shelf stable beef, you can soak your chipped beef for ten minutes in water to remove some of the saltiness. It’s not necessary but it will help keep your gravy from being overly sodium packed.
- To make your gravy extra creamy, we use Half and Half in place of the milk. It just gives it a richer flavor without going full tilt with heavy cream.
- To reheat leftovers, add a bit of milk to the gravy before heating on the stovetop over low heat.
You can round out the meal with a crisp green wedge salad or a pile of green beans to make it a little less heavy….I mean, it’s a lot of cream. It’s definitely not a healthy dinner but everything in moderation, right?
It’s a lot like this easy Sausage Gravy we make almost every week!
More Easy Beef Recipes
If you love this recipe, be sure to try this amazing and quick Beef Picadillo. It’s packed with Cuban flavor and the kids just love it.
Get the Recipe: CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF RECIPE
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk, or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 lb sliced dried beef, 8 ounce jar
- salt, to taste
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour to create a roux and continue to whisk until it begins to turn golden brown, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, garlic powder, pepper and nutmeg. Continue cooking until it begins to thicken.
- Break up the beef or chop into small pieces.
- Stir the beef into the gravy and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes over low heat.
- Season with salt, if desired.
- Serve over toast or mashed potatoes.