Mango-Ginger Glazed Ham
Brighten up your holiday spread with this Mango-Ginger Glazed Ham. Just four ingredients are used to create the fruity glaze and is a great twist on the traditional holiday ham.
Ham is a staple in my life. I’ve been making an entire spiral ham at least twice a month now since before Christmas. I like to eat it right off the bone, still in the roasting pan, dripping fat and juices down the front of my shirt. I’m super classy like that. By the time dinner rolls around I’ve eaten like half the ham but I still add more to my plate. I bet if I stopped eating so much ham I’d have no problem buttoning my pants. I’ve been trying out all types of coatings and glazes lately. Sometimes they’re completely amazing and other times….they don’t make it to the blog for reasons I’ll spare you…..if they’re not here, you don’t want to eat it. My most recent favorite is my Riesling-Cranberry Glazed Spiral ham…..until now. This Mango-Ginger Glazed Ham is totally killer and for obvious reasons…well, at least to me anyway.
The glaze is super simple to make and uses only four ingredients…mango, brown sugar, orange juice and ginger. And you won’t even need to chop anything if you buy pre-cut mango and pre-minced ginger. I like to use the Gourmet Garden Ginger Stir-in Paste, you can find it in the produce section of your local grocery store. They’re such a time saver and I always have it in the fridge for whipping up quick marinades and sauces. The total time to make the glaze when you take the shortcuts is about 8 minutes. If you choose to be all Martha and chop everything….double the time. And maybe have a band-aid ready…my way would not require any medical aid what so ever.
I love the bright, fruity flavors of the glaze with the saltiness of the ham and if you have a spiral sliced ham, which is what I used, you can get that flavor deep into the slices. Where it belongs. Plus…if you forgo the spiral ham and get one that you need to slice yourself….you’ll probably need to bust out the band-aids again. So, I suggest splurging and getting the spiral ham.
Mango-Ginger Glazed Ham
Classic spiral ham glazed with a sticky Mango Ginger sauce!
- 1 9-10 pound ham smoked...unsmoked, spiral... not spiral, that's your choice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mango
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice from concentrate
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger I use Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove ham from packaging, rinse and pat dry. Place the ham in a roasting pan and roast for 10 minutes per pound.
- While the ham is in the oven, prepare the glaze. Add the mango, brown sugar, orange juice and ginger to a mini food processor or blender and process until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook the glaze until reduced by half, stirring frequently.
- When the ham is done, brush the glaze over the surface of the ham (if it's spiral sliced, brush in between the slices too) and return the ham to the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- When done, transfer the ham to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.