Slow Cooker Kalua Pork with Sweet Chili Pineapple Sauce
Dreaming of a trip to Hawaii? This Slow Cooker Kalua Pork with Sweet Chili Pineapple Sauce can, at least, take your taste buds there. Perfectly seasoned and so tender it will melt in your mouth, it’s like your own personal luau right in your kitchen!
I dream of visiting Hawaii. I know a ton of people who have been there….and gone back…..multiple times. That’s usually a good sign that it’s a winner as far as vacation destinations go. People, generally, do not visit a place where they had a miserable time. I don’t know anyone that had a horrid Hawaii trip. It looks like the ideal dream spot….the beautiful beaches, the incredible volcanic mountains, the green countryside….and the food. Oh, the food. I think if I go I need to stay at least a month so I can try all the spots I have on my mental dining bucket list. And I STILL don’t think I’ll get to visit all of them….I may have to move there. People do it everyday….just watch Hawaii Life. (My new favorite show!)
I don’t think I’ll be going there anytime soon so I try to get my fix by eating a lot of pineapple, drinking a lot of Kona coffee and creating recipes like this Slow Cooker Kalua Pork with Sweet Chili Pineapple Sauce. It is the easiest recipe I’ve ever made….aside from smoothies and nut butters. Ok, it’s the easiest COOKED recipe I’ve ever made. Minutes of prep time will reward you with the most flavorful, slow cooked pork at the end of the day. The Sweet Chili Pineapple Sauce takes minutes to whip up right before serving and, if you feel SUPER lazy, you can skip it altogether. The sauce, you can skip the sauce. Just ask my husband who refused to eat it for whatever reason but that was fine…..MORE FOR ME!
You’re prep time includes….stabbing the meat violently with a fork to work off any stress you may be experiencing. Perfect start to the day, if I do say so myself. Great pre-office workout. And then dousing the pork with liquid smoke (if you’re sensitive to MSG…there are brands that are free of MSG, just read the label) and smothering the pork in sea salt. It will look like a lot…..it’s not. Don’t hold back. Then turn on your slow cooker for 10 hours….yes, 10….on low. Go about your day and don’t peek. Ever.
After 10 hours, you can shred the pork with two forks and leave it in the slow cooker with the broth. (Before shredding, I skim off some of the fat…you can skip this step if you wish.) Whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Wrap, taco style, in bibb lettuce leaves for a low carb meal.
serve up this delicious slow cooker pork with sweet chili pineapple sauce!
- 1 - 8 lb bone in Boston Butt Pork Roast
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 5 tablespoons pink hawaiian sea salt or regular sea salt
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
- 5 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Place the pork, fat side up, in the slow cooker. Using a fork, pierce the roast all over and pour the liquid smoke over it to coat. Sprinkle the sea salt evenly over the roast and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours (the roast is done when the meat begins to fall apart when shredded with a fork.)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the pineapple juice, rice vinegar, honey, chili sauce and hoisin sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook the sauce until reduced by half stirring with a heat resistant spatula frequently. Set aside.
- When the roast is done, transfer to a cutting board and shred the meat using two forks. Return the shredded meat back to the slow cooker and serve immediately with the sauce.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and frozen for up to 2 months.