Super easy Homemade Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips made with just three ingredients….salt, vinegar and potatoes. If you’re a lover of salt and vinegar chips, you need to do yourself a favor and make a batch right away.
Happy Hump Day! This is the day of the week when I start to lose control and want to eat all the junk food. Any salad placed in front of me stands the chance of being launched across the room. Can you blame me? I have a serious salt craving like 24/7. I like things overly salted and sometimes it’s a problem with the family. They are your salt barometers because if I didn’t have them….these recipes could be a little on the briny side.
Like these Easy Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips. I’ve been dying to make Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips from scratch for years but every single recipe called for powdered vinegar. And yes, they probably would be much more puckery if I used powdered vinegar but let’s be real….it’s really hard to find in stores. The only place I could find it was on Amazon and I don’t love to order my groceries. I’m more of a “on a whim” person and like to use ingredients that are readily available.
I love Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips so much that, once, in high school I ate a whole bag in chemistry class. Have you ever eaten an entire bag in one sitting? No? Well, let me tell you…the roof of your mouth will be completely shredded, it’s not a fun time. Another reason to skip the powdered vinegar and go for the straight stuff. Let’s get started. You’re going to slice your potatoes super thin, I like to use a handheld mandolin that I bought at the grocery store for a whopping $25.
Toss your potato slices in some apple cider vinegar and let them stand for a couple hours before draining. Spread them out on a paper towel and let them dry out a bit.
Heat your oil in a large pot and drop in a few slices. Don’t crowd the pot or the temperature of your oil will drop, things will start to stick together and you’ll just have clumps of oily potatoes. Not good eats.
Allow the potato slices to cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip them over to continue to cooking until golden brown. And crispy.
Transfer the potato chips to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt immediately.
I love these Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips so much….I ate the whole batch myself. In one afternoon. Just like I did with these homemade kettle chips last year. They go wonderfully well with these Italian Pork Sandwiches and football season is right around the corner so there’s your menu…right there. You’re welcome. I’ll see you tomorrow. 🙂
- 4 Idaho Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- oil for frying
- Thinly slice the potatoes on a mandoline.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and pour the vinegar over them.
- Toss the potatoes with the vinegar to coat and allow to stand for 1-2 hours.
- Drain the potatoes and spread out on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to allow to dry.
- Heat about 1-2 inches of oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Drop in one potato slice to test the oil. If the potato begins to sizzle, the oil is ready. If not, wait another 2-3 minutes.
- Drop in 4-5 slices of potato into the oil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Flip the potatoes over and continue to cook for another minute or until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer the potato slices to a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels and immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve immediately.