The Very Best Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
Soft, chewy and slightly spiced, this is the BEST Gingerbread Cookie recipe ever. A tried and true favorite for years, this classic gingerbread cookie dough yields the perfect cookie every single time. Totally fool-proof!
The BEST Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
Note: Photos and post updated on December 11, 2016.
One of the very first recipes I ever posted on my blog was for these Classic Gingerbread Cookies. Little did I know I’d morph this recipe into a million and one different desserts over the years. It’s positively the BEST Gingerbread Cookie Recipe ever and I will never change it…not for a million years. It’s one of those things that you know to leave it alone. If it’s not broken…don’t fix it. Did your mom ever say that?
Well, this is one of those recipes. And year after year…my little guy asks me over and over again when we will make the Gingerbread Mummies.…or the Gingerbread Men…or the Gingerbread Houses. It’s that good. He count’s the sleeps until it’s time to bust out the mixer and whip up the dough. It’s so easy to make, I really should start making these for every holiday of the year.
Classic Gingerbread Cookies With Flair
And now you can decorate them with this Royal Icing that’s equally fabulous and perfect in every way. It’s the frosting that hardens so you can stack your little men or snowflakes without worry that the frosting will smear and smudge, making all your hard work for naught. You know what I’m talking about. That kind of worry that makes you bag the whole giving cookies away idea and just eat them all yourself. So you don’t have to worry about smudgy frosting. Right? Right.
If gingerbread cookies sound too tedious and you’re not really in the mood to cut out all those little men or snowflakes or mittens or stockings, then you should definitely make these little Gingerbread cups….fill them with chocolate ganache and not share those, either. Because you bought everyone on your list gifts anyways so why give away all your hard work. Right? Right.
Get the Recipe: The BEST Classic Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Frosting
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the softened butter until light and fluffy.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Add the sugar to the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Turn the mixer to low and mix in the molasses, egg and balsamic vinegar. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and chill about 2 hours or until the dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Divide the dough in half and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll each half of the dough to 1/4" thickness adding flour as needed, the dough is very sticky so use flour liberally to prevent your cutouts from sticking to the surface.
- Using cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment approximately 1" apart.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5-6 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for one minute and move to a wire rack.
- To make the frosting: In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Whisk to combine. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag or zip top bag and snip off the tip. Add two small dots of icing where the eyes should be and then press one eye on each dot. Decorate the cookies and allow to dry for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Store in an airtight container.
Looking For More Classic Holiday Dessert Ideas?
- Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Recipe
- The Very Best Gingerbread Biscotti Recipe
- No Bake Caramel Pear Cheesecake Trifle
- Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes with Eggnog Buttercream Frosting
- The Very Best Sugar Cookies Recipe