Homemade Pimento Cheese
Sharp cheddar, Colby Jack and cream cheese are blended with spices to create this classic Southern staple. This Pimento Cheese recipe is easy to make and crazy addictive.
Pimento Cheese is one of those foods that looks kind of mysterious. I was a little scared to try it the first time it was served to me. We were visiting my mother-in-law, who just happened to live in South Carolina at the time, and she served Pimento Cheese Dip as part of a cheese platter.
Grilled cheese sandwiches made with this stuff are phenomenal. Try it….you’ll never go back to your regular old american grilled cheese again. Unless you run out of it but now I’ve solved that problem because it’s super easy to make.
What is Pimento Cheese?
A staple at Southern gatherings, Pimento Cheese Dip is more like a spread or relish made of cheese, mayonnaise and pimentos. Commonly served with bread, crackers or vegetables, it also is fabulous in sandwiches or on a burger!
Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are a signature item at the professional gold Masters Tournament and the Kentucky Derby.
Ingredients for Pimento Cheese
This Old Fashioned Pimento Cheese recipe is similar in style to Paula Deen’s Pimento Cheese.
- cream cheese
- cheddar cheese
- colby jack cheese
- cayenne pepper
- garlic powder
How To Make Pimento Cheese
This cheese dip is so easy to make. Just put everything in a bowl and stir it together. So simple!
My easy Pimento Cheese Dip recipe has a little kick from the addition of cayenne pepper, which isn’t really traditional. If you want to omit it because you don’t like spicy food it’s fine but it really doesn’t make it super spicy.
It just lends a slight background kick after you had a few bites. This spread makes an excellent addition to your Super Bowl spread and I’ll be sharing a few recipes in the next few days to make your game day eats even more epic. It’s, seriously, the BEST Pimento Cheese recipe ever….in my opinion.
It would be fabulous served alongside my Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms. Or it’s also perfect for your Kentucky Derby party along with this lighted up Kentucky Hot Brown or this Kentucky Bourbon Butter Cake.
And if you have leftover Pimento Cheese spread….it goes so amazingly in this killer mashed potato recipe OR you can dress up some deviled eggs for a fun and tasty twist on the classic. OR make this CRAZY GOOD Pimento Cheese Sandwich!!!
Looking for even more easy dip recipes? Try these reader FAVES:
- My favorite Hot Crab Dip
- Super simple Spinach Artichoke Dip
- This Buffalo Chicken Dip is the BEST EVER.
- Easy White Queso Dip
- Hot Asiago Artichoke Dip
- Quick Crab Rangoon Dip
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip ready in minutes!
Get the Recipe: Pimento Cheese Spread Recipe
- 6 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimentos
- 1 bowl
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream cheese using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the cheddar, colby jack, mayonnaise, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper and continue mixing on medium speed until well blended. Add the pimentos and mix to combine.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. The spread will last up to 3 months in the refrigerator.