So fun to make, Santa Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect way to kick off the holiday season. Simple to create, Rice Krispie Treats are dipped in chocolate, sprinkles and coconut for a flavorful sweet treat the kids will LOVE to make.
And it’s over….Thanksgiving is now behind us and the Christmas season is now upon us. Happy Black Friday, everyone! Who went out shopping today? Or at midnight? It was really nice to see more stores closed on Thanksgiving this year while we were driving back from my parent’s house in Lancaster County. It reminded me of Thanksgiving when I was young….when you had to plan ahead because even the gas stations were closed. But I can hardly believe Christmas is right around the corner when I feel like it was just Christmas a couple months ago. And, I have to tell you, I’ve been waiting all year to share a couple recipes with you that I made LAST December for a last minute Fox 29 segment on Christmas Eve. I shared a few kid-friendly treats that day, including these Snowman Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers. I never had to time to share the two other recipes, which are quite simple so I saved them….for a whole year! And I didn’t ever get a clip so I can’t even share that with you. But take my word for it…these Santa Rice Krispie Treats will be a hit with the kids. One of the anchors even took home all of them for the party he was hosting that evening. I felt a little famous….but just for a sec.
Basically, these Santa Rice Krispie Treats are just a chocolate dipped rice krispie treat….which, now, I’m realizing I don’t even have my favorite basic rice krispie treat on this site. That will have to change soon…but in the meantime, I’ll just tell you how to make them in all of their marshmallow goodness.
To create these fun Santa Rice Krispie Treats you’ll make the treats and allow to cool. Dip each end in melted white chocolate, then red sanding sugar, shredded coconut and allow to cool again. Decorate with eyes and a red hot nose. You are now in business. They look adorable served with these Candy Cane Shortbread Cookies and a cup of hot cocoa. Here’s to a festive, fun and tasty holiday season. May all the twinkle lights begin to sparkle and snowflakes start to fly….I am ready!
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 10 ounce package large marshmallows
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Treats cereal
- 1 10 ounce package White Chocolate Melting Wafers (I love Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup red sanding sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 24 candy eyes
- 12 red hot candies
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the large marshmallows and cook until melted.
- Add in the mini marshmallows. Continue to cook until almost melted and smooth with just a few lumps left in the mixture.
- Add the cereal to a large mixing bowl and pour the marshmallow mixture over top. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer to the cereal mixture to a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Using a buttered spatula, press the cereal mixture into an even, flat layer. Allow to cool.
- Cut the cereal into 12 rectangles and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds increments, stirring after each cook time until smooth.
- Add the sanding sugar and coconut to each of the own bowls.
- Dip each end of the cereal bars into the chocolate leaving a 1 inch space uncoated in the center.
- Dip one end halfway in the sanding sugar, leaving a bit of white chocolate uncoated. Dip the opposite end in the coconut and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the coconut on the remaining exposed white chocolate on the red hat side. Allow to cool
- Dip the eyes in the melted chocolate and place on the face.
- Dip one red hot candy in the chocolate and add for the nose. Repeat with the remaining bars.
- Allow the chocolate harden before serving, approximately 30 minutes.