Snowman Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers
Fun to make, even more fun to eat…these easy to make Snowman Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers are a great treat all winter long. A great last minute gift idea for the holidays or the perfect snow day treat.
Just two more days….my shopping is finally done! I think…I think I’m done. I always have that nagging voice in the back of my mind asking me if I forgot anyone. I go down my mental shopping list and check everyone off. That’s the first problem. There wasn’t a physical list this year. I’ve been so busy with work that I didn’t remember to write a list and I was a mess all month long. People sending me lists…me losing their lists pretending that I had the perfect gift idea and didn’t NEED the list in the first place. But I did…I need the list. To keep myself sane. So, lots of homemade gifts are floating around the house for the people I may have forgotten and think of at the last minute. Stuff like these hot cocoa stirrers, these amazing almonds, a big vat of bolognese sauce. And if I don’t have to give them away, they’ll be put to good use after the holiday is over.
Like these super cute Snowman Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers. They’re a slam dunk with the pint sized people in my life. And they’re so easy to make….seriously. You’re kids will love helping decorate. They’re wonderful to give as gifts with a fun mug and some cocoa…..if you could whip up some snow to go with them that would be completely fabulous. I’d like some snow so send some my way please.
The marshmallow is simple to whip up using my vanilla bean marshmallow recipe. Then you just use a standard biscuit cutter small enough to just fit in the top of a mug to cut them out. Decorate using colored white chocolate and let it set. I’ll be doing a live demo tomorrow along with two other kid friendly recipes on our local news so watch out for the link on Facebook.
Snowman Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Toppers
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup Blue candy melts
- 1 cup orange candy melts
- 1 cup brown candy melts
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the gelatin with 1/2 cup of the cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 cup water, the granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. When the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat.
- Turn the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Increase the speed to high and continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping.
- While the mixture is whipping, whisk the confectioners' sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Coat a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sugar and cornstarch mixture and completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl and set aside.
- Pour the marshmallow into the prepared pan and use a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly in the pan. Dust the top with just enough of the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Reserve the rest. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut the marshmallows into circles just large enough to barely fit a standard sized mug and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Set aside.
- Melt the blue candy melt in the microwave for 1 minute and stir until smooth. Repeat with the orange and brown candy melts. Transfer the melted candy to a zip top bag and snip off a corner. Decorate the snowman as you'd like. Allow the chocolate to set. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
|Serving Size||1 snowman|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 145kcal Calories from fat 43|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|