Bacon “Lettuce” and Peach Sandwich with Basil Mayo
Sweet peaches are the perfect stand-in for tomatoes in this remake of everyone’s favorite BLT. Plain Jane lettuce is also replaced with peppery arugula to make one deliciously easy Bacon Lettuce and Peach sandwich!
I was smacked in the face the other day with the harsh reality that summer is not going to last forever. What I mean is….I was, literally, smacked in the face with a decorative witch at the grocery store. Yep…I walked right into it while rushing to the laundry detergent aisle and was startled beyond belief. Seriously, who expects to run into a witch in the middle of the summer. Well…a Halloween witch, some of us run into witches all summer long. 🙂 All joking aside, it does make me a little sad to know that summer will end, the school busses will be returning and the peaches will be gone. 🙁 Don’t even get me started on the snow. We’ll save that rant for later.
In the meantime, I’ve been buying all the peaches. ALL OF THEM! They just scream summer when you bite into one. I like to toss them into salads, cook them on the grill and top with savory/sweet blueberry butter, add them to pies (duh!). And so, I threw them into a sandwich. With salty bacon and peppery arugula. And a simple basil mayo on a hearty white bread, lightly toasted. This is no time for whole wheat or grain, let’s stay pure to the classic BLT and use some super amazing white bread. Something you buy from a bakery and then have to slice yourself. Really, that’s the only way you’re going to get the soft, thick slices you need for this sandwich. Your taste buds will thank you.
The basil mayonnaise is just some fresh basil mixed with commercial mayo. Slather plenty of that on both slices of bread. Don’t be shy. Edge to edge, make sure that bread is covered. Mmmmkay? And absolutely NO TURKEY BACON. Please don’t. Just don’t. But seriously….that turkey bacon isn’t any better for you than regular bacon so just stick with the real stuff and enjoy it. Life is short, make sure you’re living it to the fullest. Eat the bacon. And the white bread. And ALL the peaches.
Get the Recipe: Bacon “Lettuce” and Peach Sandwich with Basil Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 4 - 3/4 inch slices hearty white bread
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and basil. Set aside.
- Place the bread under the broiler and toast until golden brown, Flip the bread slices over and continue to toast until golden.
- Transfer the bread to a platter or plate and spread the basil mayonnaise liberally on one side of each slice being sure to cover the entire surface. Layer two slices of bread with peaches and top each with 1/2 cup arugula. Top the arugula with the bacon and the remaining slice of bread. But the sandwich on an angle, corner to corner and serve immediately.