Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
Dipped in hot sauce and wrapped in bacon, these Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders have half the calories of the fried version. Serve them with this light Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce for the tastiest, guilt-free game day snack ever.
Bacon gets a bad rap. It’s true. Sure, some versions are loaded with sodium….and fat….but if you use it in moderation and in a way where you render off most of that fat it can be your friend. It can make something you don’t really love much taste incredibly amazing….and sinful. It can add flavor where it doesn’t exist. Like a boneless, skinless chicken breast. Have you noticed I don’t use them very often in my recipes? Can you guess why? Well, I’ll tell you. I think they are dry and flavorless. Now, I know people who claim to make the best and juiciest chicken breasts ever but really…if you’re not adding a sauce or some kind of crusty coating they lack any morsel of delightfulness. I may as well eat styrofoam. (These statements are all my opinion, you may love your chicken breasts….I do not.)
I do love healthy snack alternatives for the Super Bowl. One can only consume so much queso, fried wings, fried potato chips, tacos and potato skins before needing to change into pants with a drawstring waist. And so….I ventured into the kitchen with an idea in my head and a pound of bacon in my hand. Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders with a lighter Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce made with greek yogurt….it was a total home run….or field goal. I’m just kidding…it was a touchdown.
The Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders are really simple to make and to help make the bacon crisp you need to bake them on a baking rack. You know that thing we use to bake our Honey-Habanero Wings and Spicy Baked Asian Wings? Yes, you will be needing that. I used Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce….I put that sh!t on everything. It makes the assembly process so easy because you’re not going to be spending time trying to whip up something from scratch. You can if you feel inspired and have a favorite recipe but I was feeling hungry. I needed to eat and it needed to be soon.
The Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce comes together in minutes. If you have the time, make it in advance. This allows the flavors to meld and gives the dip so more depth. I had a lot of leftover dip….and I ate about a pound of carrots with it. You can dip whatever you like in the leftover sauce but the carrots are a little addictive. I couldn’t stop. I won’t stop…..unless I run out of carrots.
Get the Recipe: Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup hot wing sauce
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 5 ounces blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the wing sauce and wrap each piece with a strip of bacon. Place the chicken strip, seam side down on a baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes turning once halfway through cooking time. (If the bacon isn't crisp but the chicken is done, broil each side for 1 minute)
- While the chicken is baking, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, buttermilk, blue cheese, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve with the blue cheese sauce.