Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin Bread
A toastable bread with the texture and sweetness of a muffin, only healthier for you. Loaded with whole grains, oats and fresh, plump blueberries, this Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin Bread is a great way to start your day.
Who loves winter? Anyone, anyone, Bueller? Today, the wind is whipping around like a tornado is going to blow through the neighborhood at any moment. I think I may have seen a mini snownado rolling through the backyard a minute ago. It’s brutal and cold and it’s making me want to move to a warmer climate asap. I won’t complain too much though because a friend of mine lives in Boston. Have you seen Boston lately? They got a little bit of snow the past few weeks. Just a coating. It’s absolutely horrifying. So, anyone else in the Boston area….I’m sending you surface of the sun warm, sunny thoughts.
What to do when it’s too cold to even walk to the mailbox? Bake….bake your heart out. But bake things that won’t add inches to my thighs, butt, legs, you name it. Bake something productive, heart-warming and heart-healthy…like muffins. But you know what’s better than just a muffin….a toasted muffin. However, toasting muffins can be tricky because they’re shaped all rounded and you can’t really fit them into the slot in the toaster. If you have a toaster oven then this isn’t an issue but I don’t own one so stuffing a muffin into my toaster is quite the scene, as is removing it from the toaster. Solution? Turn that muffin into a loaf of bread that can be sliced and diced until your heart’s content.
I started with an old, old, very ancient recipe of mine from back in the days when I didn’t really know what the heck I was doing with the blog. I adapted my Morning Glory Muffin recipe a bit to include the oatmeal and blueberries, and I omitted all things Morning Glory. I also replaced the olive oil called for in the recipe and used a less flavorful canola oil. Equally healthy but without the “in your face” olive flavor that took away from my blueberry muffin fantasy. What resulted was an uber healthy bread packed full of healthy grains and blueberries that’s moist, tender and toastable. It’s great just sliced and served with a little bit of White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Butter but toasting it makes it so comforting and crisp.
We only have a few more weeks of winter, friends. Let’s just bundle up, eat some bread and wait for the robins to arrive. They’ll be here before you know it and then we can fire up those grills.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (sifted twice)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the flour, oats, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl whisking to combine thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined being careful not to over mix. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- The bread can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days and frozen for about 2 months.