These homemade Blueberry Pancakes are so fluffy, sweet, and speckled with the perfect amount of juicy berries! You only need a handful of pantry staples to make these summery pancakes, and you might just have it all on hand already. You’ll never go back to the boxed stuff again!
We’re in the thick of berry season and I couldn’t be more excited about it! Next time you have a surplus of blueberries from the local u-pick, this is the recipe to turn to. Blueberry pancakes are a staple breakfast item in my house during the summertime. I mean, who can resist a stack of homemade pancakes made with fresh, juicy, sweet blueberries? Not me!
What makes these homemade pancakes so good are the ingredients, of course. Besides the blueberries, there are also key ingredients like buttermilk and brown sugar that really put these pancakes a step above the rest! And yes – this homemade recipe is SO much better than any instant pancake mix you can buy from the store. They’re just so much fluffier!
I’ve also included a few little tips and tricks below to make sure you have the very best blueberry pancakes every single time. Making pancakes is super easy, but there are a few simple ways you can really make them pretty perfect. After you make this timeless blueberry pancake recipe, you’ll be craving them all year long and looking forward to berry season just like me!
How to Make Blueberry Pancakes
This easy pancake recipe is perfect for those busy mornings when you want something homemade on the table!
- Whisk the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter in a separate bowl.
- Make the batter. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Do not over-mix!
- Cook the pancakes. Add butter to a skillet over medium high heat, then drop 1/4 cup of batter on the skillet to form 4 different pancakes. Sprinkle blueberries on top, then cook until bubbles form in the center of the batter. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat and serve. Repeat this process with the remaining batter. Serve with butter, syrup, and even more blueberries!
Tips for the Best Blueberry Pancakes
Get the best pancakes every time with these quick tips and tricks!
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Over-mixing the batter is the kiss of death for pancakes! Lumps in pancake batter means you’ll have fluffy pancakes. Don’t mix the batter until smooth!
- Use fresh blueberries. Frozen berries will work in a pinch, but only if they’re thawed first. For the best results, try to only use fresh blueberries.
- Make your own buttermilk. Why buy a big container of buttermilk from the store when you know you’ll only end up using some of it? You can easily make your own buttermilk at home with just two ingredients! Check out my recipe for more info.
- Spoon the flour. If you dip the measuring cup directly into the flour, you’re really packing it in there. Packed flour is never a good thing, especially for fluffy pancakes! Avoid that by spooning the flour into the measuring cup before leveling it.
Variations to Try
Here are just a few ways you can customize your blueberry pancakes.
- Add some chocolate chips. Blueberry chocolate chip pancakes? Yes, please! If you go this route, you can either sprinkle in the chocolate chips after you’ve combined the wet and dry ingredients or add them to the pancake when you add the berries.
- Add bananas. Banana pancakes are always a favorite of mine! So, why not enjoy the best of both worlds with some blueberries as well? Thinly slice the bananas and either use them just as a garnish or sprinkle them on with the berries.
- Add strawberries. Red white and blue pancakes are perfect for summertime! Add some sliced strawberries with your blueberries for a summery, patriotic flair.
Here are just a few more breakfast recipes worth getting out of bed for!
Get the Recipe: Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned into a measuring cup and leveled off
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Maple syrup
- Fresh berries
- 1 skillet
- 1 mixing bowl
- Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Slowly stir together the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until well blended. Do not stir until smooth; the more lumps in the batter the fluffier the pancakes.
- Melt the remaining butter over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Drop 1/4 cup batter onto the skillet to make four separate pancakes.
- Sprinkle a few blueberries on top of the pancakes.
- Cook the pancakes until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form in the center of the batter. Flip and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes longer until golden.
- Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup and berries, if desired.