Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Peeps
Sticky, sweet Rice Krispie Treats are given a bath in a layer of dark chocolate then decorated with candy eyes and bones for an extra special spin on the usual snack. A quick, last-minute treat that’s fun and impressive. Dark and creepy never tasted so sweet.
Is there anyone who doesn’t like Rice Krispie Treats? I’m sure there are a few of those weirdos out there….they hang with those people that don’t like chocolate or sweets. Who ARE these people? Where do they come from? I just can’t imagine my life without sweets….especially something that’s coated in a buttery, marshmallow web of goodness. I wish I didn’t have a sweet tooth, it would make putting my jeans on in the morning that much easier….but I do. I have a tremendous sweet tooth, it’s a problem. Sometimes.
Not today, not when I have these lying around. Because what’s better than a Rice Krispie Treat just plain and simple…..a Rice Krispie Treat that’s covered in a blanket of dark chocolate. And I know this isn’t anything earth shattering, I did not break the sound barrier with this one but…..they’re good. And simple…and when you decorate them with eyeballs…since you all know that’s my 2014 Halloween obsession….they get a little creepy. Because food that’s staring you down before you eat it can be a scary thing. Right? And that’s why I renamed them Rice Krispie Peeps. Like Peeping Tom’s….but sweeter. Because Tom is creepy and I really don’t want to think of him as a snack…let’s stop there.
These Rice Krispie Peeps are extra marshmallowy….and a little more buttery….and this helps them stay soft and not get rock hard after one day. Perfect for Friday’s school Halloween party or just to have on hand to munch on while handing out candy. I don’t know about you but I’m thinking a drinking game of sorts will be lots of fun…take a shot whenever Elsa rings the doorbell? Are you with me on this? Or just eat a Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Peep. I’ll take the shot, of course.
You’re going to make a pan of the usual Rice Krispie Treats and spread them out in a buttered baking dish lined with parchment. The parchment helps you easily remove them from the pan so they can be cut without a struggle. (or breaking up the chocolate)
Pour the melted chocolate (I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers) over the room temperature treats and then decorate with halloween sprinkles, eyes and bones. Whatever scares your fancy. Allow to harden at room temperature. Fight the urge to refrigerate the treats because it will harden the rice layer AND it could cause the chocolate to bloom (turn white). Once the chocolate is firm, remove the treats from the pan by lifting the two sides of parchment and transfer to a cutting board. Cut the treats into squares.
Your treats will last in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you don’t eat all of them first.
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Peeps
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 15 ounces marshmallows about 1 1/2 packages Jet-Puffed
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 12 ounces dark chocolate melted (I used Ghirardelli Melts)
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Butter the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish and line with parchment paper leaving a two inch over hand on each side. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and add the rice krispies. Stir the mixture until all the cereal is well coated. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down to form an even layer. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cool cereal layer and spread with a knife or offset spatula. Decorate with sprinkles and allow the chocolate to cool. Once the chocolate is firm, remove from the baking dish and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 2-3 inch squares and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.