Chocolate Turtle Biscotti
Rich, crisp, chocolate biscotti drenched in creamy caramel and dark chocolate, sprinkled with chopped pecans and dipped into a steaming mug of coffee or cocoa. There’s no better way to start, or end, the day.
My obsession began last year…..the biscotti obsession. A trip to the Lancaster Central Market in downtown Lancaster, PA was what started it. I visited a booth that had the most enticing and drool-worthy biscotti I’ve seen in like…..forever. And each jar was filled with any type of biscotti you could think of. I recreated a White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Biscotti last year and knew I had to keep the trend going for the recipients of my cookie boxes. The most popular item in them last year was….you guessed it, the White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Biscotti.
I’ve been dreaming of the Turtle Biscotti for a year now. I don’t even remember if they had this flavor there but…..Turtle ANYTHING is always a huge hit. Who can resist caramel, chocolate and nuts….well, unless you’re allergic to caramel, chocolate or nuts. And chocolate biscotti is my absolute favorite to begin with so drizzling caramel, chocolate and nuts on top of chocolate biscotti just makes my knees weak.
If you’re going to make biscotti this year, or any cookie for that matter, you should definitely make Chocolate Turtle Biscotti. They’re really easy to make and totally fun to decorate. This is one you could get the kids to help with and it won’t be too messy. I promise. The caramels are melted in the microwave with a tiny bit of half and half. Easy, right? And the chocolate is also melted in the microwave. Cool. Yep. So, so easy.
These are awesome to serve with coffee after dinner or great to include with a brunch spread. Either way, you’re guests will be super stunned to see them because they just look like they taste incredible….and they actually taste better than they look! Believe it my friends. We have entered into the world of some major gourmet treats…..but without the gourmet effort.
Chocolate Turtle Biscotti
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces dark chocolate melted (I used Ghirardelli Melting Wafers but you can use chopped dark chocolate, not chips)
- 24 caramel squares
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until a dough has formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Divide the ball in half and form each half into a log measuring approximately 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place the logs on a baking sheet lined with parchment and lightly floured about 3 inches apart.
- Bake the dough on the middle rack for 40 minutes or until they are firm all over. Remove the logs from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- On a cutting board, slice the logs on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick. Place the slices back on the baking sheet and bake them for 10 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Place the caramels and half and half in a microwave safe bowl. Melt the caramels and the half and half in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Cool the biscotti to room temperature and then, using a pastry bag or ziplock bag with the tip cut off, drizzle the caramel and melted chocolate all over the biscotti. Immediately sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
- Allow to cool so the caramel and chocolate sets and the nuts adhere. Store in an airtight container.