Chocolate Turtle Coffee Cake
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidaySweetTreats#CollectiveBias
Chocolate for breakfast! Chocolate Turtle Coffee Cake is topped with buttery pecans, smooth caramel and sweet chocolate for the most amazing coffee cake ever. The perfect reason to eat chocolate cake for breakfast.
I’m a chocoholic. From Halloween until January 2….I shovel it in as fast as I can. Not everyday but if I eat just one bite of chocolate on any given day…it opens up the floodgates and I must eat all the chocolate within a one mile radius. At least that’s how it seems. So, leave it to me to find a way to make it acceptable to eat it for breakfast. Chocolate cake for breakfast. I’m somebody’s hero I’m sure. 🙂
Every Christmas morning, I host a holiday brunch for my family. I try to make something everyone will love and there’s always a ton of food leftover to nosh on throughout the remainder of the day. I make something savory like this French Onion Quiche or my favorite Monte Cristo Casserole….something sweet like this amazing banana bread and something fruity like a citrus fruit salad. But what I always find missing is chocolate….maybe not everyone else feels that way but I like to fit chocolate into my life whenever possible. In this case, it’s in this ultra moist, fluffy coffee cake topped with amazingness.
I had a lightbulb moment on one of my 57 weekly trips to Target one day. I passed by the ice cream aisle and at the end were all the Smuckers Toppings. Sooooo many to choose from. I was already brainstorming breakfast ideas so why not dress something up a bit….pancakes, waffles…croissants? Then it hit me…something easy and perfect for holiday brunch that can be made in advance so you’re not slaving away in the kitchen. Coffee cake. But not just any coffee cake…Chocolate Turtle Coffee Cake that’s topped with a crunchy sugary layer and doused in chocolate, caramel and buttery pecans. A lovely addition to any brunch spread, your guests will think you are a genius….a breakfast god/goddess.
While you’re planning out your holiday brunch menu or just want to have a bit of cake to snack on throughout the week, go visit Target and pick up a few Smuckers Toppings to top your favorite recipes…and, of course, whip up this easy Chocolate Turtle Coffee Cake. You can use this offer from Target to save some dough too! So….what’s your favorite brunch recipe? I’m always looking for a few more ideas to serve my friends and family.
Chocolate Turtle Coffee Cake
Chocolate Cake for breakfast with an easy Chocolate Turtle Coffee Cake!
- 1 1/2 cups plain fat free greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup Smuckers Simple Delight Dark Chocolate Topping
- 1/4 cup Smuckers Simple Delight Salted Caramel Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined. Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternatively with the yogurt mixture until well combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish. Whisk together the nuts, sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the cake. Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Before serving, drizzle the chocolate and caramel topping over the cake. Slice and serve.