White Chocolate Macadamia Banana Bread
Classic Banana Bread is studded with sweet white chocolate chips and buttery, salted macadamia nuts to create this tropical masterpiece. Reminiscent of my favorite cookie (White Chocolate Macadamia) but a lot healthier and absolutely acceptable for breakfast!
You know those dreams that you have where you wake up horrified and panicked? The dreams that seem so real you wake up in a fuzz not sure if you’re waking is still part of the dream or if it’s really over. Not quite a nightmare because there were no ghosts or monsters. (Yes, I still dream about ghosts and monsters….yes, I’m over 40.) But still a nightmare because if it happened in your real life you would, probably, have to be medicated to get over the trauma. I just woke up from one of those dreams. The only “monster” in it was the person that bought my house….the one I currently live in….the one I just moved into last year and finally made it my own. The one that I, absolutely, love to pieces and have begun making many memories in. AND we “sold” the house and didn’t have anywhere to live. Homeless with a toddler…how fun. Does anyone want to analyze this dream for me?
Regardless of what it means, I was so relieved to wake up in my own (well, Landon’s) bed in my own house. And I knew I had something comforting waiting downstairs for breakfast, White Chocolate Macadamia Banana Bread.
There’s something homey about banana bread. My mom made it a lot when I was little….I think EVERYONE’s mom made it when they were little. If your mom didn’t make you banana bread, I’m sorry. I would have shared mine with you because banana bread is great for sharing. No one person should eat the whole loaf themselves. Especially when the recipe has been adapted to mimic a cookie….a white chocolate chunk and macadamia nut cookie. Probably one of the most fattening cookies ever. But this recipe calls for low-fat cream cheese so we’re all good on the calories here. Balance. That’s what it’s all about.
This version is a little more dense than my other banana bread recipe because I replaced the yogurt with cream cheese….um, YUM! It was a good move. Smearing it with butter was a good move. Selling my house with no place to live is not a good move. I learned my lesson last night.
Get the Recipe: White Chocolate Macadamia Banana Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana, about 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped salted macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter beating at medium speed until fluffy. On low-speed, add the banana, milk, cream cheese and eggs mixing until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Keeping the mixer on low-speed and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat just until blended. Add the nuts and chocolate chips and stir briefly.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
2 Comments on “White Chocolate Macadamia Banana Bread”
Not sure what i did wrong but my bread did not come out looking like the picture. It was much much darker in color, I was disappointed. I had to cook it 15 min longer to get it done. The flavor was mild. My husband liked it so I sliced up both loaves, vaccumed sealed and froze them. I dont think I’ll make it again, the cost of the macadamia nuts could be better spent on something else.
I’m sorry it didn’t turn out quite the way it should. Sometimes ovens can vary in temperature requiring you to cook it a little longer. You may want to check your oven and calibrate it before baking again. (Or I’ll check mine.)