Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Marmalade Sauce
Crispy and crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, this Coconut Shrimp is as healthy as it gets. Dipped in the Spicy Marmalade Sauce, this is a party in your mouth!
During the month of December, I’m an online ordering fool. I think I may have purchased all but 2-3 gifts online this year and then I peer out the window like a nosey old woman every day waiting for the UPS truck to drop off my packages. Even though nothing was for me, I still get excited to see him pull in the driveway every day. So, I don’t have to tell you how beyond thrilled I was when a package was actually for me! Yep, I received an AirFryer from Avalon Bay. What’s an AirFryer you ask? Well, I’m hear to tell you all about it.
I love fried food so I was seriously psyched to try this thing out. As soon as I took it out of the box, I threw in some frozen french fries. I know….so gourmet of me but I really wanted to see if it would make them taste fried. The verdict: not really “fried” because there’s no oil involved but super crispy and just what we all strive to achieve when we bake those frozen fries. I give the french fry project an “A”. Yep, this was a winner.
Next up, frozen chicken dinosaurs (they’re just nuggets shaped like dinosaurs)….I know, more frozen but we were just warming up here. They were, also, super crispy on the outside but nice and tender on the inside. The perfect nugget without all the grease. I’ve been feeding my family chicken dinosaurs for weeks now….guilt-free. And we haven’t gone through the McDonald’s drive through in about a month. Winning!
Now was time to break out the big guns and try some of my favorite fried foods. First up….fried artichoke hearts. I wanted to love them, I really did but I couldn’t get over the raw flour flavor. Here’s a tip for AirFrying…..never, ever, ever, use flour. Period. Unless you can do something to get rid of the raw flour flavor, there’s no oil to cook it so it really just gets drier and flaky and nasty. Let’s skip it. I’ll try them again later. Next, were the Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Marmalade Sauce. I tried the recipe three times to get it right because I knew they had potential. And they turned out amazing….for an Airfryer. Crispy, crunchy and the shrimp was perfectly cooked. Not rubbery or dried out. Would I prefer Coconut Shrimp from a deep fryer? Certainly but if you’re striving to eat healthier and cut out the excess fat….this is the ticket.
So, here are my thoughts on the AirFryer:
- If you make a lot of frozen food, this is perfect for the job. It makes nuggets, fries, onion rings crispier than an oven ever could. Just remember to shake the basket during the cooking process for even baking.
- Easy to clean….super easy to clean.
- Do not use flour, just don’t do it.
- Spray your food with a little cooking spray for extra crispy results.
- I wish it was prettier because the bulky design takes up a lot of counter space and it’s a pain in the butt to find a place to store it if you have a tiny kitchen.
- The basket size is small so if you have a large family you must cook in batches. This will take a long time. Just sayin’.
If you’re still on the fence about whether the AirFryer is for you, go visit the Air & Water, Inc. Facebook page for more information.
Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Marmalade Sauce (and an AirFryer Review)
- 8 large shrimp shelled and deveined
- 8 ounces coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko bread
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenner pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Clean the shrimp and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the coconut, panko, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- One at a time, dip the shrimp in the coconut milk, the panko and then place in the basket of the fryer. Repeat until all the shrimp are coated. Cook the shrimp in the fryer for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- While the shrimp are cooking, whisk together the marmalade, honey, mustard and hot sauce.
- Serve the shrimp with the sauce immediately.