Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Crockpot Mac and Cheese is the creamiest, most decadent, and cheesiest comfort food you can make! The steps here couldn’t be easier to follow – it’s a true set it and forget it recipe. You’ll love every indulgent bite of this classic mac and cheese recipe!
I share links to my favorite products used to make this recipe. We may collect a small commission for any purchase made using those links. Thank you for supporting our website!
Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Calling all mac and cheese lovers… well, actually, I think that means the entire human population. I’ve yet to ever meet a single person who doesn’t love mac and cheese!
This recipe is easy, cheesy, and always hits the spot in the best way possible. While I’ve certainly never met a mac and cheese I didn’t like, it’s fair to say that they’re not all created equal.
This easy recipe is definitely a step above most others. The cheese itself is so rich, creamy, indulgent, and made with real cheese!
Put down the blue box, because you deserve so much more than that. While the instant powder and fake cheese sauce did get me through my early 20’s, the real deal is SO much better with both consistency and flavor.
I know what you may be thinking. The reason the boxed mac and cheese is so popular is because of how easy it is to whip up.
That’s where Crockpot Mac and Cheese comes in to save the day! If you don’t want the hassle of too many steps, just set it and forget it. The slow cooker essentially does all of the work for you here and always yields the most incredible homemade results.
How to Make Mac and Cheese in the Crockpot
Grab your trusty slow cooker and let’s get to work!
- Prepare the Crockpot. Spray the Crockpot with nonstick spray and add the uncooked pasta. Top with chopped butter.
- Make it creamy. Mix together the water, evaporated milk, heavy cream, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir this mixture into the Crockpot.
- Cook. Cover and cook on low for about 75 minutes.
- Make it cheesy. Uncover, stir, and mix in all of the cheeses.
- Cook again. Cover and cook on high for just about 15-20 minutes. Once the cheese has melted, season it with salt and pepper and enjoy!
We love this slow cooker from Crock Pot for it’s easy programmable panel and the lock top for toting off to potlucks! It’s also an economical choice for years of cooking.
Tips for the Best Crockpot Mac and Cheese
Make your slow cooker mac and cheese the very best it can be by taking a peak at these easy tips and tricks:
- Slow cooker powers might vary. Check the pasta after 1 hour to determine if it needs to cook a little longer. The amount of liquid should be reduced, where you see the pasta has started to cook and has soaked up the liquids. The pasta should be tender and al dente before stirring in the cheeses.
- Is it ready for the cheese? If you’re not sure, here’s a great indicator! When the liquids were added at the start, they covered the pasta. When the liquid looks to be under/below the cooked pasta, it’s close to being fully cooked, thus ready for the cheese. This is important, because if you add the cheeses before the liquids have been soaked up by the pasta, this will become mac & cheese soup.
- Use American cheese slices. This may seem odd, but I promise it’s for a reason. It’s recommended to add a few slices of single serving cheese because they helps bring all the cheeses together for a creamy result. Think of them as a binder for the other cheeses.
- Correct the consistency. If you think the final product is too thick, you can add a little bit of water (not milk) to achieve the desired consistency. If you add milk, it will become too thick.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 additional day. This makes a fantastic next day lunch!
More Mac and Cheese Recipes? Yes, please!
- Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese
- The Very Best Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Easy Macaroni and Cheese
- Baked Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
For more easy Dinner Ideas, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni, weighed dry
- 1 1/3 cups water
- ¼ cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 can evaporated milk, 12oz (about 354.88 ml) size each can
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, from a block, shredded
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, from a block, shredded
- 2 slices of yellow American cheese, torn into small piece (individually wrapped singles)
- slow cooker
- Digital Kitchen Scale optional
- In a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker spray with nonstick spray. Add the uncooked elbow noodles and top with chopped butter pieces
- In a small mixing bowl, add the water, evaporated milk, heavy cream, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper and mix well together.
- Pour over the pasta and stir a few times just to combine.
- Cook covered on low heat for about 75 minutes or until the macaroni is al dente, slightly tender.
- Uncover and stir the macaroni, then add all three cheeses. It is recommended to add a few slices of single serving cheese, this helps bring all the cheeses together for a creamy result.
- Cover and cook on high for 15-20 minutes longer until the cheese is melted and the sauce has come together. If it is too thick you can add a little bit of water (not milk) to achieve the desired consistency. (If you add milk, it will become too thick.)
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or toasted breadcrumbs.