Easy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe // Video
Easy Macaroni and Cheese made from scratch can be on the table just as quickly as the blue box Mac and cheese! Believe it….and made with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have in the kitchen. Creamy, salty, carb-y heaven is just 10 minutes away.
Easy Macaroni and Cheese
Ok, guys….so school is officially back in session for most of the country and I’m already feeling the tug of the busy work/home/school schedule. We haven’t even added in swimming lessons and whatever else Landon decides he’s up for trying this year but with work travel looming, as well as, the insanely packed fourth quarter…..the pressure is on.
And by pressure….I mean getting homemade meals on the table that are quick, easy and only leave me with one pot to clean like this super simple Cheeseburger Macaroni recipe that’s been on repeat for like 3 years now. And now….this Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe that’s on the table as fast as the Blue Box Kraft Mac and Cheese. Seriously.
And since it’s made with whole ingredients like REAL CHEDDAR CHEESE….you can actually feel good about feeding your family the BEST Macaroni and Cheese recipe in as little time as possible. Nothing from a box, no powdered cheese….just a creamy, cheesy sauce that’s completely addicting.
How to Make Homemade Mac and Cheese
Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese isn’t that mystical. It’s rather simple to make in just a short time.
- Boil a pot of water and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour.
- Stir in the milk and cook until thickened
- Stir in the grated cheese and then add the cooked/drained pasta to the cheese sauce.
- Grab a fork and dig in.
How easy was that?
What is the best cheese for macaroni and cheese?
Basically, any well melting cheese would work great in this macaroni and cheese recipe. I like to stick with a mild cheddar because it looks and tastes most like the box but it also melts incredibly well leaving you with the best creamy Mac and cheese recipe you’ll ever try.
I have used other cheeses in my Mac and cheese recipes like this Five Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese….it’s amazing but it’s not as quick to make plus the cheeses used are a bit more spendy than the cheddar used for this Easy Macaroni and Cheese.
How long does it take to make Homemade Mac and Cheese from scratch?
This easy Mac and cheese recipe is on the table in about 10-12 minutes. If you’re looking to make the whole recipe in one pot then it will take a bit longer, which is still about 15-16 minutes.
I like to make the cheese sauce while the pasta is cooking so I can get dinner on the table in a flash but if you’re not pressed for time and can spare and extra 8 minutes, then boil the pasta in the pot first. Drain and then make the cheese sauce in the same pot. Still quick, still easy, still creamy deliciousness!
I like to serve this Super Easy Macaroni and Cheese with a simple salad OR these Fish Nuggets. Sometimes we even like to mix in a bit of these stewed tomatoes. I don’t know why but it totally reminds me of my childhood and so we still serve it that way now.
It’s also FABULOUS in the school lunchbox (or mom’s lunchbox, for that matter!) stashed in a thermos so it stays hot until lunch. Which for my little guy is so early it’s like Brunch.
If you’re looking for MORE one pot, quick and easy dinners you have to try this simple Taco Pasta Skillet…it’s an oldie but goodie. Or this insanely amazing Pumpkin Pasta Skillet. It’s my absolute favorite thing about fall.
To see more fun food and our favorite places to go out in the Philly area follow us over on Instagram.
Get the Recipe: Super Easy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente, approximately 8 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and whisk to combine. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until golden whisking constantly.
- While whisking, slowly add the milk to the butter/flour mixture. Turn the heat to low. Bring the milk mixture to a simmer and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, approximately 4-5 minutes. DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir the cheese into the milk mixture and remove from the heat. Continue stirring until the cheese is thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drain the pasta, do not rinse. Fold the macaroni into the cheese sauce and stir to combine.Check for seasoning and add salt/pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately.