Easy Apple Fritters Recipe // Video
Cinnamon, spice and everything nice….this Easy Apple Fritter recipe is exactly what you’re looking for in a tasty breakfast treat. Crispy exterior with a soft, fluffy interior…just like a funnel cake but loaded with cinnamon and real apples.
Originally published May 2016 and updated in September 2019.
I’m bringing to you one of my favorite things ever….Apple Fritters. So simple but seriously amazing and addicting and it could be a problem because bathing suit season is just a couple weeks away.
But whatever…these are so amazing. And better than the version that inspired this recipe to begin with. AND believe it or not….that version is only available a few months out of the year from Britton’s Bakery at the Jersey Shore.
Yep….bathing suit season and Apple Fritters go together like peanut butter and jelly….mac and cheese…Romeo and Juliet. At least in my world they do.
Let me tell you a bit about Britton’s Bakery…..everyone that frequents the town of Wildwood in the summer knows about this little gem. Which is a bit of a problem when you’re trying to get your fix…you know, your donut/coffee fix at the crack of whatever time you roll out of bed. And if you don’t get there early enough…they will run out.
They will…don’t say I didn’t warn you. So, get your butt up and drive/walk/run to the corner and stand in the line that will wrap around the side of the building and wind down the sidewalk….and wait. And wait. And wait…all while smelling the sweet smell of donuts, pastry and their apple fritter donut wafting down the street.
Torturing you for awhile until you get to step inside the door of the bakery and pick whatever your heart desires….or whatever is left in the counter. Depending on what time you finally got out of bed.
What is an Apple Fritter?
Apple fritters are like little fried cakes or donuts made with a simple batter, crispy diced apples and spiked with cinnamon.
They can be pan fried or deep fried and then sprinkled with powdered sugar or glazed in a simple sugary glaze. Usually made in a yeast dough, this apple fritter is even easier because there’s no yeast involved at all!
How do you make Apple Fritters?
These apple fritters are so simple to make. Unlike the version they serve up at Britton’s Bakery and many other bakeries for that matter, this recipe is made without yeast. So, you basically dump everything into a bowl….stir it together and then fry away.
They’re so, sooooooo good. Crisp on the outside, soft and tender on the inside. Just as they should be.
Is an Apple Fritter healthy?
Well, that depends on your definition….calorie wise I would say not because they are fried in oil but they are definitely healthier than those that you find at a bakery.
If you’re looking for a mood booster….these apple fritters will definitely improve your mood….which I guess you could say is good for your mental health. 🙂
You could also make BAKED Apple Fritters but, honestly, they’re not going to be as good.
So…..if you’re like me and like to laze around in the mornings at the beach….you’re probably going to miss out on the amazingness that is Britton’s Apple Fritters. But, like always…I solved the problem for us lazy folk. I made my own Homemade Apple Fritters…and they’re lighter, fluffier and EASIER than the version I suspect Britton’s makes at their bakery.
Now let me say, this was a process….I made several versions before I settled on this Old Fashioned Apple Fritter recipe. I made a version with a yeast dough that required proofing…and I was impatient so I whipped up a version without yeast. It’s glorious….light and airy like a funnel cake laced with cinnamon and specked with apple.
I dusted my Easy Apple Fritters with powdered sugar once they cooled and that was all they needed. Britton’s coats theirs in a glaze but I skipped it just because I thought it would be a bit much.
And since they reminded me of funnel cake….powdered sugar was just the best way to go. These Easy Apple Fritters will be amazing at any brunch or breakfast spread.
They take just a few minutes to make and would be amazing as a side for your morning cold brew.
Easy Apple Fritters #BrunchWeek
Super easy to make Apple Fritters recipe is made without yeast so there's no need to wait for them to rise! So simple and so tasty!
- For the apple filling:
- 2 large apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
- For the fritter batter:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystal Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- In a medium bowl, toss together the apples, cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and butter. Slowly fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the apples.
- Heat a few inches of canola oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, drop a small amount of batter into the oil to test. If it sizzles immediately and begins to float, the oil is ready. If it begins to burn quickly, turn the heat down.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into the oil, 4-5 at a time. Allow the batter to cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Using a fork, flip the fritters over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or wire spider, scoop out the fritters and transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar and serve warm.