Apple Pie Bars
Heaven on earth is real, and it’s in the form of a batch of Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars! These streusel topped, buttery, spiced apple bars are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Oh, and you can’t forget to top them off with some gooey salted caramel sauce!
Apple Pie Bars
I love the versatility of apple pie! You can make it in the middle of fall as an autumnal treat or on the 4th of July to feel deliciously patriotic. No matter when you serve it up, too, it’s always a surefire hit with any crowd! Now, consider this – what if you took everything you love about apple pie… You know, the equal balance of sweetness and warmth, the buttery crust, and the tender baked apples?
Take all of those signature elements of America’s favorite pie, then bake it into a bar with a streusel topping and warm salted caramel sauce! The end result is a dessert that you’ll be thankful you don’t have to limit to just one season out of the year.
Biting into one of these bars for the first time is an experience you won’t be quick to forget. But, you will be quick to finish the rest of the bar (and likely grab a second).
Another thing I love about Apple Pie Bars is that they’re homemade from top to bottom. While I do love dressing up store-bought ingredients from time to time, there’s something just different about enjoying something made purely from scratch.
Maybe it’s because you can taste the love? Or, maybe it’s because it’s made with delicious ingredients and simple, yet effective steps that always yield the best results.
How to Make Apple Pie Bars
- Prepare your kitchen. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8” Baking Pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crust. In a medium bowl add the flour, sugar and softened butter. Mix together until completely combined and a soft dough has formed.
- Bake the crust. Spread into the bottom of the baking pan evenly. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Make the filling. While the crust is baking, add the apple pie filling ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Layer the filling on the crust. When the crust has finished baking, remove from the oven and wait 5 minutes then line the apple filling on top of the crust while it’s still warm.
- Make the streusel. Add all streusel ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. Mix well, then sprinkle over the top of the apple filling evenly.
- Bake. Place baking pan back into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Chill. Remove from the oven and allow to cool then place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours, or overnight can be better.
- Enjoy! Cut into squares and serve with Caramel Sauce and a pinch of flaky sea salt!
Storing Apple Pie Bars
In an airtight container in the fridge, these bars will stay fresh for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend topping them with caramel sauce until you’re ready to serve them.
These bars also freeze very well! Just pop them into a freezer safe food storage container once they’re fully chilled. Date the container and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy a bar, let it thaw for a few hours in the fridge, then dig in.
What apples should I use to make these bars?
That all depends on your flavor preference. If you want your bars to be balanced with some tartness, use green granny smith apples. For even more sweetness, use honeycrisp or golden delicious. You really can’t go wrong with whatever apples you choose!
How To Serve Them
We love to serve these a little warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You can also serve them with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon in addition to the caramel sauce!
Apples are the gift that keep on giving all year long!
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- The Very Best Apple Pie
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream
Get the Recipe: Apple Pie Bar Recipe
- 1 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 4-5 Medium Apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8” Baking Pan with parchment paper.
- Making the crust – In a medium bowl add the flour, sugar and softened butter. Mix together until completely combined and a soft dough has formed.
- Spread into the bottom of the baking pan evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking add the apple pie filling ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together well.
- When the crust has finished baking remove from the oven and wait 5 minutes then line the apple filling on top of the crust while it’s still warm.
- Making the streusel – add all streusel ingredients to a medium mixing bowl. Mix well, then sprinkle over the top of the apple filling, evenly.
- Place baking pan back into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool then place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours, or overnight can be better.
- Cut into squares and serve with Salted Caramel Sauce