Easy Lemon Curd Recipe
Bright, tangy and smooth, an Easy Lemon Curd Recipe using up winter’s most popular citrus. Fresh lemons are used to create a creamy, custardy delight that’s wonderful on pastries, in tarts or just enjoy by the spoonful.
If you’re looking for a bright, taste of sunshine in the dead of winter…..boy, do I have the recipe for you. This rich, creamy Homemade Lemon Curd is just what you need to wake up those tastebuds and convince them that summer is right around the corner. Even though…..it is not.
We love to spread our fruit curd on all the things like our favorite toasted bread on Sunday morning or go savory and use as a tangy barbecue sauce for chicken on the grill.
Lemon Curd is a flavorful spread made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. It’s a great addition to cakes, pastries, or as a topping for tarts and has the consistency of pudding.
Perfectly balanced between sweet and tart, this easy Lemon Curd is smooth, creamy and beautifully vibrant in lemon-y flavor.
How To Make It
This Easy Lemon Curd Recipe takes just minutes to make with just three ingredients….lemons, sugar and butter.
Pulse the sugar and lemon zest in a food processor to break down the zest a bit. I’m not a big fan of curds that are swimming with long strands of zest that were unable to break down during the cooking process, so the food processor takes care of that a bit.
Whisk the eggs and sugar mixture together until light, fluffy and a pale yellow color. Then whisk in the juice.
Cook the mixture until it’s thick and creamy, smooth and irresistible.
Stir in the butter until smooth and creamy.
Now…you can either dig in with a spoon or create some wonderful treats to usher in some of that Spring weather we’re all hoping for.
How To Use Lemon Curd
While my favorite things to do is slather a big spoonful on a piece of toasted brioche, it’s also so good in between layers of cake, stuffed into a cupcake or swirled into some vanilla ice cream
Make a simple tart by filling a pie crust with lemon curd and then topping with whipped cream. The options are really limitless!
We even used it to make these Blueberry Lemon Rolls….they’re simply perfect for brunch!
More Easy Fruit Spread Ideas
Be sure to follow me on Facebook for MORE family favorite recipes or hop over to Instagram where we share a ton of behind the scenes fun!
Get the Recipe: Easy Lemon Curd Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 lemons, zested and juiced
- 5 egg yolks
- 8 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Add the sugar and zest to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the sugar and zest until moistened and the zest has broken down until smaller bits. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the egg yolks to the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
- Whisk in the lemon juice (you should have 1/3 of a cup, if not…add a bit more lemon juice).
- Fill a medium saucepan with enough water to measure 1 inch up the side of the pan. Bring the water to a simmer.
- Place a heat proof bowl over the saucepan (bowl should not be touching the water) and pour the lemon mixture into the bowl.
- Whisk the mixture until thickened and can coat the back of a spoon, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Immediately remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the butter, two cubes at a time. Stir the butter until completely melted before adding more.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
13 Comments on “Easy Lemon Curd Recipe”
I cant wait to make my own…it’s so easy and so delicious. This looks creamy and delightful! xo, Catherine
I’m all about the lemons and I really needed a good lemon curd recipe. Thanks for sharing!
How many eggs?
They are not listed in the ingredient list.
Five, sorry, updating the recipe. Thank you!
It says ,add egg yolks How many yolks?
5 egg yolks, discard the whites.
Love lemon curd! Great recipe, love how easy it is and how little ingredients it requires. The colour is SO vibrant too!
Can you use lemon juice instead of lemons and if so, how much
You can but the consistency may not be as thick.
I love making lemon curd. When I have it in the house I put it on ALL THE THINGS!
Delicious recipe, but it is anything but easy to prepare. It took much longer than 30 minutes to prepare.
Thank you so much for this recipe!! Fantastic! Perfect for my thumbprint cookies!
You’re very welcome! Enjoy!