Easy Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
The icing on the cake! This super easy Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting recipe comes together in just a few minutes with just FOUR ingredients. The perfect topping for your favorite cake and cupcakes. It’s also fantastic on your freshly baked cinnamon rolls!
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
There are three people in the world…..cake people….frosting people…..and people who don’t like sweets. We’ll forget about those crazies that won’t eat dessert because I seriously will never be able to relate….but the others? They’re my people.
I’m a frosting girl, myself. I could totally dig into a big vat of homemade frosting with a shovel and not even miss the cake. But my little guy, on the other hand, won’t eat frosting. He’s strange but it works out for both of us when we go out for cupcakes!
This is nothing new for me, I always was a fan of homemade frosting no matter the flavor but this Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting recipe has always had my heart. It’s so simple to make and it’s, seriously, the BEST cream cheese frosting I’ve ever tasted.
I’ve been making this easy cream cheese frosting FOR YEARS because even if my cake is from a box….or lacking a bit in flavor, cream cheese icing always seems to make everything better.
What is Cream Cheese Frosting?
Cream Cheese Frosting, or cream cheese icing, is a frosting recipe similar to American Buttercream but made with cream cheese and butter instead of just butter.
You can flavor your cream cheese frosting with cocoa to make a chocolate cream cheese frosting or a variety of flavored extracts to really add some excitement to your frosting recipe.
How to Make It
Making Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting from scratch is really simple to do in just a few minutes. To make your frosting:
- Add the room temperature butter and cream cheese to a bowl.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture beating until smooth after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
- Turn the mixer on high and beat the frosting for approximately 4-5 additional minutes until light and fluffy.
- Allow the frosting to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before piping on cupcakes or decorating your cake.
What to do if your Cream Cheese Frosting is too Runny
On occasion, my cream cheese frosting will seem to be a little loose and runny. To rectify the issue, I will add a small amount of powdered sugar while beating the frosting until it begins to tighten up a bit.
If your cream cheese frosting is too sweet and you prefer not to add more sugar, you can thicken your frosting by adding a bit of cream cheese to your frosting.
Can You Add Food Coloring
Yes, you totally can add food coloring to your cream cheese frosting. I like to use gel food coloring because I feel like it doesn’t really affect the consistency of the frosting at all. Just a few drops is all you need for a vibrant and colorful frosting.
How Long to Store It
Cream cheese frosting can stand at room temperature for up to 8 hours either alone or on your cake and cupcakes. After 8 hours, your cream cheese frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to cover your cake or cupcakes if storing them in the fridge to keep the frosting from becoming crusty.
If you are storing your whipped cream cheese frosting for later, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Allow to come to room temperature before frosting your cake or cupcakes.
Alternatively, you can freeze your cream cheese frosting in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
This easy recipe results in a fluffy cream cheese frosting you’ll want to put on all your favorite desserts. I, especially, love this cream cheese frosting for cinnamon rolls….it’s smooth and melty and coats the rolls with a thick smear of light and fluffy cream cheese frosting you’ll dream about for days.
Here are my favorite desserts to use your Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- The BEST Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes.…so, soooo good
- Kentucky Bourbon Butter Cake…hellooooo, Derby Day!
- So amazing Red Velvet Coconut Cake
- Spiced Zucchini Cake
- Or make these amazing Snickerdoodles and create a special sandwich cookie!
If you’re not a cream cheese frosting fan, then you will LOVE this easy American Buttercream Frosting made famous by Magnolia Bakery. It’s quick and easy and soo, soooooo good.
Get the Recipe: Easy Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 16 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixture fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the sugar to the cream cheese mixture beating until light and creamy.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Allow the frosting to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Use to frost cakes, cupcakes, cinnamon rolls or as a dip.