The Best Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Simple ingredients become stellar in this easy to make dessert. The BEST Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are a classic when it comes to cake recipes. Perfectly spiced cake studded with fresh carrot, raisins and pecans then topped with a rich, cream Cream Cheese Frosting….addicting.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Easter is my favorite holiday of the whole year. I think it’s because the food we eat leans into my Polish heritage more than the other holidays….we chow down on kielbasa, fried cabbage, ham and Potato Pierogies loaded with buttery, fried onions until we need to loosen our belts.
Then it’s time for dessert. Bring on the Carrot Cake Cupcakes!
What are Carrot Cake Cupcakes?
I’ve made quite a few carrot cakes in my time….and I screwed up quite a few, as well. So, this recipe for the BEST Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting is absolute perfection because it’s been tested and perfected many times over.
It’s light, moist and fluffy….all at the same time. Studded with fresh carrots, sweet raisins and buttery pecans, there’s a little bit over everything in here…much like my favorite Morning Glory Muffins…..or a Southern Hummingbird Cake, but without the pineapple.
How To Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes
I take my Carrot Cake very seriously and have a few tricks up my sleeve to make sure your’s are the BEST Carrot Cake Cupcakes…..ever.
- Make the batter. Blend together the cupcake ingredients and then fill the wells of the cupcake wrappers 1/2 full with batter.
- Preheat the oven. I do something a bit different when I bake them…I crank the heat up to 400˚F.
- Bake the cupcakes. Bake them until they begin to rise and the edges firm up, then turn the heat down to 325˚F and finish baking so they’re puffed up perfectly.
- Cool. Cook the cupcakes until they’re room temperature and then they’re ready to be frosted with the creamy, fluffy cream cheese frosting.
This technique ENSURES you will not end up with flat cupcakes.
The Cream Cheese Frosting is just 4 ingredients and yields smooth, creamy frosting that you’ll want to slather on everything….or just eat out of the bowl with a spoon. It would be fantastic on these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins because really….a muffin is just a naked cupcake, am I right?
Tips for Making Perfect Cupcakes
- Finely grate the carrots so you don’t end up with big chunks in the cake batter. I like to use a box grater and then run my knife through the pile of grated carrots a few times to chop them up a bit more.
- Whisk your dry ingredients thoroughly to add lightness and airiness to the batter and don’t over mix the ingredients when adding the wet mixture to the dry.
- Replace the nuts or raisins with chocolate chips, sunflower seeds or just skip the add-ins altogether.
- We use Cream Cheese Frosting but you can substitute with a lighter Whipped Cream Frosting, if preferred.
If you love this one….you’re for sure going to love these easy Carrot Cake Cheesecakes! They’re mini….for perfect portion control!
More Easy Cupcake Recipes
If you like this lightly spiced cupcake recipe, you may also want to give these a try.
Get the Recipe: The BEST Carrot Cake Cupcake Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all purposed flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh grated carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans, for garnish
- 1 muffin tin
- 1 hand mixer
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Turn the mixer on low. Stir in the vanilla and carrots.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, then the raisins and pecans.
- Fill each muffin well lined with a cupcake liner 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 and continue baking for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Add the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixture fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the sugar to the cream cheese mixture beating until light and creamy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and frost the cupcakes, as desired. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and serve.
Frosting can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.